Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight of water from molecular mass to grams per cubic centimeter

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    I’ve been scratching my head (and working in ms excel) about the following for about 6 hours and would greatly appreciate it if somebody could help me.

Basically, I am trying to figure out WHY the density of water is approximately one gram per cubic centimeter (at 1 atm pressure and 4 degrees Celsius).

Note the following conversions:
    1 atm = 101,325.01 Pa = 14.7 psi
    4 C = 39.2 F = 277 K

Also:
    Gas Law Constant = 8.3145

Starting at the molecular level, water has a molecular mass of 18.015 g/mol.

Using the ideal gas law:
    density = (pressure) (molar mass) / ((temp) (8.3145))
    g/m^3 = (Pa) (g/mol) / ((K) (8.3145))

This is what I come up with:
    density = (101,325 Pa) (18.015 g/mol) / ((277 K) (8.3145))
    density = 792.56 grams per cubic meter

792.56 grams per cubic cm does NOT equal 1 gram per cubic centimeter.
    Why?
    Where did I go wrong?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why did you apply the ideal gas law for a liquid?

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

As Vanadium 50 has pointed out, liquid water is not an ideal gas. The density of liquid water is [much] higher than Boyle's law would predict. The molecules of water stick together and thus exert less pressure on their surroundings than would otherwise be the case.

You also dropped a factor of 10^6, in what appears to be a transcription error. 792.56 grams per cubic cm is incorrect. 792.56 grams per cubic meter is right for an ideal gas with a molecular weight of 18.

I sanity-checked your computation by taking 1200 grams per cubic meter (density of air, according to Google) and multiplying by 18/28 (air is mostly nitrogen with a molecular weight of 28). That comes to 771 grams per cubic meter -- close enough for back-of-the-envelope work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook