Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weighted delayed neutron fraction?

1. Jan 18, 2007 #1
    I am plotting the in-hour equation. For the delayed neutron fraction, I was thinking of using a weighted dnf for the particular U fuel enrichment of interest, ie combination of U235 & U238 dnfs, as I cannot look one up for this particular enrichment. Any comment on the “validity” or otherwise of this approach?

Btw, this is just for playing around with data & equations, not any kind of serious or real application. I am using dnf values from an old textbook which is adequate for my purposes but if you are aware of a reputable web resource for this kind of data I’d be grateful for a link.

Thanks for any input.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2

Morbius

Science Advisor

curie,

You can use a weighted average of the delayed fraction.

Additionally, you have two isotopes of Uranium with similar delayed fractions.

The place where this would really come into play is when you have a mixture of
    Uranium and Plutonium because the the delayed fraction for Plutonium is about a
    1/3 of what it is for Uranium; 0.2% vs 0.7% if I recall.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
    Physicist

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?