Weinberg Chapter 2 Little Group Q

In summary: This allows us to simplify the representation by only considering a finite number of distinct standard momenta, making the calculations more manageable. In summary, the little group helps us classify the representations of the Poincaré group by simplifying the calculations and allowing us to focus on a finite number of distinct standard momenta.
Heffernana
I'm trying to understand induced representation / little group stuff in Weinberg QFT vol. 1 chapter 2 (around page 64, 65, 66). So is this the correct way of thinking about it:

We have the Poincaré group of symmetries; we wish to know how to represent operators (derived from these symmetries) that act on physical states, [itex] \Psi [/itex], in the Hilbert space.

Since 4-momenta - p - commute as shown in the Lie Algebra of the group, classify the state-vectors according to p and someother quantities [itex]\sigma[/itex]. Then use a Lorentz transformation to re-write a general momentum state [itex]\Psi_{p,\sigma}[/itex] in terms of a finite number of distinct "standard momenta" [itex]k_{\mu}[/itex], as in equation (2.5.5). This standard momentum [itex]k_{\mu}[/itex] is invariant under a certain group symmetry [itex] W^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] by construction.

The set of W that satisfy this [itex]Wk=k[/itex] are called the little group.

Correct so far? I guess my question is then what to make of this? To take an example off of Table 2.1 page 66 if my state vector is dependent on k-momentum (already in standard form), [itex](0,0,0,M)[/itex] (case (a)) then are the only transformations that leave it invariant (i.e. can produce an eigenvalue-eigenvector) those of SO(3), the rotation group?

As you can see I have lots of the pieces but just not quite sure what the whole point is, but really want to get it properly. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!Yes, that is the correct way of thinking about it. The point of the little group is to classify the different representations of the Poincaré group. In the example you gave, the little group is SO(3), so the only transformations that will leave the state vector invariant are rotations.

1. What is the Weinberg Chapter 2 Little Group Q?

The Weinberg Chapter 2 Little Group Q is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the symmetry properties of elementary particles. It is used to classify particles based on their spin and other quantum numbers.

2. How is the Little Group Q related to the Lorentz group?

The Little Group Q is a subgroup of the Lorentz group, which is the group of transformations that preserve the laws of physics in special relativity. It describes the internal symmetries of particles, while the Lorentz group describes the symmetries of spacetime.

3. What is the significance of the Little Group Q in particle physics?

The Little Group Q is important in understanding the properties of particles and how they interact with each other. It helps to classify particles into different types and predict their behavior in different situations.

4. How is the Little Group Q used in experimental particle physics?

Experimental particle physicists use the Little Group Q to study the properties of particles and their interactions. By measuring the properties of particles, such as their spin and mass, they can determine which Little Group Q they belong to and make predictions about their behavior.

5. Are there any applications of the Little Group Q outside of particle physics?

While the Little Group Q was originally developed for use in particle physics, it has also found applications in other areas of physics such as condensed matter physics and solid state physics. It has also been used in some areas of mathematics, such as group theory and representation theory.