1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Well-defined Homomorphism

1. Sep 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the integers ##k## for which ##f_k : \mathbb{Z}/ 48 \mathbb{Z}## with ##f_k (\overline{1}) = x^k## extends to a well-defined homomorphism.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My claim is that ##f_k## extends to a well-defined homomorphism iff ##f(\overline{b}) = x^{bk}## for every ##\overline{b} \in \mathbb{Z}/48\mathbb{Z}## and ##k## is such that ##36 divides ##48k# (which is equivalent to ##3## dividing ##k##). I was able to prove that if ##f_k(\overline{b})=x^{kb}## and ##k## is such that ##36## divides ##48k##, then ##f## is a well-defined hommorphism. However, I am having difficulty with the other direction.

Suppose that ##f## is a well-defined homomorphism. Then

##
    f_k(\overline{b}) = f_k(\overline{1} + \dots + \overline{1}) = f_k(\overline{1}) \dots f_k(\overline{1}) = x^k \dots x^k = x^{kz}##

Now we want to show ##k## is such that ##36## divides ##48k##. Suppose the contrary, and suppose ##\overline{b} = \overline{b'}##, which implies ##b' = b + 48m## Then by the well-defined property,

##f_k(\overline{b}) = f_k(\overline{b'})##

##x^{bk} = x^{b'k}##

##x^{bk} = x^{(b+48m)k}##

##x^{bk} = x^{bk} (x^{48k})^m##

##e = (x^{48k})^m##

This is where I get stuck...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2016 #2
    Note, ##x## is the generator of ##Z_{36}##.

4. Sep 20, 2016 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

You haven't specified the codomain of [itex]f_k[/itex]. Is it [itex]\mathbb{Z} / 36 \mathbb{Z}[/itex] as your attempt suggests?

5. Sep 20, 2016 #4
    Yes, I am sorry. It is actually ##Z_{36}##, which is of course isomorphic to it.

6. Sep 20, 2016 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

You don't need to prove two directions separately; you can do both at once.

[itex]f_k[/itex] is well-defined if and only if [itex]f_k(\overline b) = f_k(\overline c)[/itex] whenever [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] are in the same equivalence class. Thus you need [itex]x^{bk} = x^{(b+ 48q)k} = x^{bk}x^{48qk}[/itex] for each integer [itex]q[/itex].

Your hypothesis is that well-definedness of [itex]f_k[/itex] is governed by whether 36 divides 48k. So set [itex]48k = 36p + r[/itex] for integers [itex]p \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] and [itex]r \in \{0, 1, \dots, 35\}[/itex]. For which values of [itex]r[/itex] can you satisfy the above condition for all [itex]q[/itex]?

7. Sep 20, 2016 #6
    What is ##q##? Should it be ##p##? The only ##r## that would satisfy the equation is ##r=0##, right?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  8. Sep 20, 2016 #7
    Sorry I misread what you wrote. I was able to work problem and it agrees with what you suggested. THANKS!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted