Well, I'm switching my major and minor

• Programs
  • Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major Minor
In summary, the student is considering changing majors from physics to math and is taking electives to supplement their new major. They like both math and physics and are planning on taking classes that will help them with their new major.
Shackleford
I was definitely decided on the physics major/math minor. Then, recently, I thought I wanted the B.S. Physics with Geophysics Specialization.

Well, I'm now going, beyond a shadow of a doubt, to major in math and get a physics minor (University Physics I, II, Modern Physics I, II, Thermal, and Mechanics). I'll start next semester. One of the required courses I'm not familiar with is Abstract Algebra. I don't really know a lot about Intermediate Analysis and Survey of Undergraduate Math. I'm required to take a senior-level sequence, and that will probably be Advanced Linear Algebra I and II. Next semester, I'll be taking Thermal Physics and Probability - not sure I can fit a third class in there.

Generally speaking, what kinds of career opportunities would be available for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:
Generally speaking, what kinds of career opportunities would be available for me?

Generally speaking, math graduates have lots of career options. Anything that requires math (but does not require licensure, like the engineering fields) will be open to you.

fss said:
Generally speaking, math graduates have lots of career options. Anything that requires math (but does not require licensure, like the engineering fields) will be open to you.

Good. And maybe the physics minor will open a few more opportunities for me? After I graduate, I'll probably go back and finish what I consider the two or three core physics courses, i.e. EM I and II and maybe Solid State and Particle.

Any insight into some of my new required coursework?

Probability
Advanced Linear Algebra I, Advanced Linear Algebra II
Abstract Algebra
Intermediate Analysis
Survey of Undergraduate Math

And I'll have two additional math electives. I may take Statistics for the Sciences, maybe Introduction to Higher Geometry.

http://www.uh.edu/academics/catalog/colleges/nsm/courses/math/index.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Shackleford said:
Any insight into some of my new required coursework?

Probability
Advanced Linear Algebra I, Advanced Linear Algebra II
Abstract Algebra
Intermediate Analysis
Survey of Undergraduate Math

And I'll have two additional math electives. I may take Statistics for the Sciences, maybe Introduction to Higher Geometry.

http://www.uh.edu/academics/catalog/colleges/nsm/courses/math/index.php [Broken]

What kind of "insight" are you looking for?

Newtime said:
What kind of "insight" are you looking for?

What the classes will be like, material, relative difficulty, etc. So far, I've only taken up to Differential Equations and Vector Analysis. For electives, I'm kind of leaning to classes that would supplement my physics minor.

Shackleford said:
What the classes will be like, material, relative difficulty, etc. So far, I've only taken up to Differential Equations and Vector Analysis. For electives, I'm kind of leaning to classes that would supplement my physics minor.
Well if you're taking math classes to supplement a physics minor...why not major in physics? If you major in math, you should do it because you want to study math. But I suppose that's a slightly different topic.

As for the classes, it's hard to say without knowing your own strengths/weakness, the professors who teach the courses etc. but in general modern algebra courses and real analysis courses are difficult at first, especially if you're not yet comfortable with proofs. Also advanced linear algebra can be tough but it's one of my favorite subjects personally. Of course, "advanced" means different things to different people but I interpret this as the meat of the book "Advanced Linear Algebra" by Roman.

Newtime said:
Well if you're taking math classes to supplement a physics minor...why not major in physics? If you major in math, you should do it because you want to study math. But I suppose that's a slightly different topic.

As for the classes, it's hard to say without knowing your own strengths/weakness, the professors who teach the courses etc. but in general modern algebra courses and real analysis courses are difficult at first, especially if you're not yet comfortable with proofs. Also advanced linear algebra can be tough but it's one of my favorite subjects personally. Of course, "advanced" means different things to different people but I interpret this as the meat of the book "Advanced Linear Algebra" by Roman.

I like both math and physics. What I'm saying is, since I switched major and minor, I'm going to take math electives that complement physics. For example, Mathematical Introduction to Options is not a relevant course to physics. Classes like Statistics for the Sciences, Mathematics of Signal Representation, etc., would be.

I also enjoy linear algebra. It's very useful across the board, too. I'm not comfortable with proofs. I'll probably be taking Abstract Algebra and Intermediate Analysis next Fall. My Vector Analysis professor called that class a "baby analysis class." I bought this book a while back but haven't had the time to read it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486462978/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Shackleford said:
I like both math and physics. What I'm saying is, since I switched major and minor, I'm going to take math electives that complement physics. For example, Mathematical Introduction to Options is not a relevant course to physics. Classes like Statistics for the Sciences, Mathematics of Signal Representation, etc., would be.

I also enjoy linear algebra. It's very useful across the board, too. I'm not comfortable with proofs. I'll probably be taking Abstract Algebra and Intermediate Analysis next Fall. My Vector Analysis professor called that class a "baby analysis class." I bought this book a while back but haven't had the time to read it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486462978/?tag=pfamazon01-20

So my guess is the intermediate analysis course is a rigorous calculus course. It's a great way to become familiar with rigorous mathematics and taking algebra at the same time will complement those proof techniques nicely. This is pretty standard and if you put in the work you should be fine.

Newtime said:
So my guess is the intermediate analysis course is a rigorous calculus course. It's a great way to become familiar with rigorous mathematics and taking algebra at the same time will complement those proof techniques nicely. This is pretty standard and if you put in the work you should be fine.

Interesting. I vaguely remember the vector professor saying the intermediate analysis course is like Cal 3.5 with epsilon-delta, or something along those lines.

What factors should I consider when switching my major and minor?

When switching your major and minor, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. You should also think about the requirements and course offerings of the new major and minor, as well as any potential impact on your graduation timeline and financial aid.

Will switching my major and minor delay my graduation?

It depends on the specific requirements and course offerings of the new major and minor, as well as how many credits you have already completed. It is important to meet with an academic advisor to create a plan and determine if any additional semesters will be needed to complete your degree.

Can I switch my major and minor multiple times?

Yes, you can switch your major and minor more than once. However, keep in mind that frequent changes may delay your graduation and could also impact your financial aid or scholarship eligibility.

How will switching my major and minor affect my career prospects?

Switching your major and minor can open up new career opportunities and make you a more well-rounded candidate. However, it is important to consider how the new majors and minors align with your career goals and how you can market your diverse skillset to potential employers.

What resources are available to help me switch my major and minor?

Your college or university should have academic advisors and career counselors who can assist you in making the switch. They can provide guidance on course planning, graduation requirements, and career options. It may also be helpful to speak with students or alumni who have switched their major and minor for their insights and advice.