Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whale 'Asks' For Help From Fishermen

1. Aug 23, 2015 #1
    My friend this morning told me about the whale that went up to a boat, and effectively asked for help to get some things off of it. I hadn't heard or seen the story, but upon googling: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-plastic-bag-caught-mouth-north-Sydney.html

So sad, but adorable; flapping its fin as perhaps a sign of thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I've seen a couple of incidents like this lately. A bit dangerous to get in the water to help, but so far no injuries to humans helping to cut away stuff from whales (that I know of). I'd do it if I were on a dive boat and a whale came alongside with issues. :smile:

4. Aug 23, 2015 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Very cool! :oldcool: :approve:

5. Aug 23, 2015 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:)):))

What ship was this? The S.S. Mister Magoo?? The H.M.S. Helen Keller??

6. Aug 23, 2015 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I was diving in the BVis in '09 and we were just doing our safety stop before exiting . I was last in line (I always am, I'm a nut with my camera), when the team lead started banging on his tank to get our attention and pointed at a pod of three dolphins approaching,

I was the closest. The dolphins circled our boat and then went to the bottom and stopped. I followed them down and, as I got within a few yards, one of them flipped upside-down and laid on its back (not an easy feat, with a dorsal fin), presenting its belly. There was no question at all that this - wild - dolphin was inviting me to rub its belly. I was beside myself with joy.

Alas, not only was I out of air (exacerbated by my sudden hyperventilating), but my tank was by now too buoyant for me to compensate, so I could not get close enough. I had to head back to the boat. As I did so, the dolphins rose up and followed me, circling me round and round as I rose, not five feet away. Eventually they pealed off, and as I broke surface, I d**n near gulped a gallon of water whooping with joy.

IMG_2111.jpg
    IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

The rest of the adventure:
    http://www.davesbrain.ca/adventures/09caribbean/index.html

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook