Whale 'Asks' For Help From Fishermen

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
In summary, the group of young fishermen were able to take a selfie with a whale after it swam up and seemed to ask for help getting some things off of it.
StevieTNZ
My friend this morning told me about the whale that went up to a boat, and effectively asked for help to get some things off of it. I hadn't heard or seen the story, but upon googling: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-plastic-bag-caught-mouth-north-Sydney.html

A group of young fishermen have captured an incredible selfie with a whale after it swam up and seemed to ask them for help removing plastic bags caught in its mouth.

The friendly whale nudged their boat as it made a surprise appearance in Middle Harbour, north of Sydney.

The men soon noticed the whale, which circled the boat and swam underneath it, was asking for help and pulled out rubbish bags and fishing lines stuck in its mouth.

As the whale made its way over to the other boat, Mr Kovac captured the event on his camera.

'He has a big scar on his back. He had some fishing line and two plastic bags on his head. I managed to grab at it but missed.

'He later came up to a trailer boat and presented his head as they removed the bag,' Mr Kovac wrote.

After the rubbish is removed from the whale's mouth, the creature is seen swimming away while flapping its fin - apparently showing its appreciation.

So sad, but adorable; flapping its fin as perhaps a sign of thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen a couple of incidents like this lately. A bit dangerous to get in the water to help, but so far no injuries to humans helping to cut away stuff from whales (that I know of). I'd do it if I were on a dive boat and a whale came alongside with issues. :smile:

StevieTNZ said:
My friend this morning told me about the whale that went up to a boat, and effectively asked for help to get some things off of it.
Very cool! :oldcool: :approve:

The men soon noticed the whale...
:)):))

What ship was this? The S.S. Mister Magoo?? The H.M.S. Helen Keller??

I was diving in the BVis in '09 and we were just doing our safety stop before exiting . I was last in line (I always am, I'm a nut with my camera), when the team lead started banging on his tank to get our attention and pointed at a pod of three dolphins approaching,

I was the closest. The dolphins circled our boat and then went to the bottom and stopped. I followed them down and, as I got within a few yards, one of them flipped upside-down and laid on its back (not an easy feat, with a dorsal fin), presenting its belly. There was no question at all that this - wild - dolphin was inviting me to rub its belly. I was beside myself with joy.

Alas, not only was I out of air (exacerbated by my sudden hyperventilating), but my tank was by now too buoyant for me to compensate, so I could not get close enough. I had to head back to the boat. As I did so, the dolphins rose up and followed me, circling me round and round as I rose, not five feet away. Eventually they pealed off, and as I broke surface, I d**n near gulped a gallon of water whooping with joy.

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

The rest of the adventure:
http://www.davesbrain.ca/adventures/09caribbean/index.html

Last edited:
Likes Intrastellar and Enigman

What is the significance of the whale "asking" for help from fishermen?

The significance of the whale "asking" for help from fishermen is that it shows the intelligence and self-awareness of these marine mammals. It also highlights the importance of human intervention in protecting and preserving the ocean's ecosystems.

How did the fishermen know that the whale needed help?

The fishermen noticed that the whale was swimming slowly and erratically, which is not typical behavior for these animals. They also saw that the whale had fishing nets tangled around its body, indicating that it was in distress and needed assistance.

Why did the fishermen choose to help the whale?

The fishermen chose to help the whale because it is the right thing to do and also because they have a deep respect for marine life. They understood that the whale was in a life-threatening situation and that their intervention could make a difference in saving its life.

What actions did the fishermen take to help the whale?

The fishermen carefully approached the whale and used a knife to cut away the fishing nets that were entangled around its body. They also kept the whale calm and reassured it with gentle touches and splashes of water until it was completely freed from the nets.

What can we learn from this event?

We can learn that animals are intelligent and capable of communicating their needs, and that humans have a responsibility to protect and care for all living beings. We can also learn the importance of working together to preserve our planet's ecosystems and the animals that inhabit them.