Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What absorbs Ultraviolet radiation?

1. Jun 17, 2015 #1
    I know that ozone on Earth absorbs ultraviolet radiation but chemical or material absorbs ultraviolet light like the kind in fluorescent light that absorbs ultraviolet light and reemits it as visible light.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2015 #2
    Your English is confusing, but are you saying that UV is re-emitted as visible light in the atmosphere?

4. Jun 17, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What exactly are you looking for?
    Materials that absorb UV in general? Most solid and liquid materials do, some gases do.
    Materials that are fluorescent under UV light? Google will find many.

5. Jun 17, 2015 #4
    I meant to say what type of material absorbs ultraviolet radiation(including name) and I tried google but i didn't find anything because all it said was ozone but if you want to build a base on mars, you need a material to absorb the ultraviolet radiation due to the lacking of ozone on mars.

6. Jun 17, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

See above:
    Simple window glass will do the job. You probably want something more stable anyway due to the pressure difference inside/outside, or much more material to shield against cosmic radiation.

7. Jun 17, 2015 #6
    TiO2 absorbs UV well and it is also very resistant. Beryllium and these are other materials used.

8. Jun 17, 2015 #7
  9. Jun 18, 2015 #8
    Human skin absorbs UV pretty well. :oldeyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook