How much energy can a plant absorb in ultraviolet light

In summary, the plant "Drosera falconeri" can absorb energy from UV light in a specific time, and this would depend upon the presence of photosynthetic chemicals.
nibbel11
i want to know how much energy does a plant absorb in ultraviolet light, but i have no idea how i am going to do that.

Biology news on Phys.org
your Q is very vague

how much before it shrivels up and dies ?tells us more about what you are trying to achieve

Likes jim mcnamara
Changes in the color of the leaf can tell you if it receives too much or too less light.

Eucliddo said:
Changes in the color of the leaf can tell you if it receives too much or too less light.

the OP was referring specifically to UV light

well i want to know how much energy this plant the "Drosera falconeri" can absorb from light in a specific time in the best circumstances. i thought that uv was the light with the most energy

nibbel11 said:
well i want to know how much energy this plant the "Drosera falconeri" can absorb from light in a specific time in the best circumstances. i thought that uv was the light with the most energy

yes, but not necessarily the wavelength that is best absorbed

so what is, and is there some kind of formula to calculate the energy absorbed in a specific time at a specific area and a wave land

There are some device you can use with measuring energy, but... I'm not sure with how you use it in measuring the energy absorption in plants..

Hi nibbler11,

The absorption of a plant would depend upon which photosynthetic chemicals are present.
From
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Biology/ligabs.html
It is evident from these absorption and output plots that only the red and blue ends of the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum are used by plants in photosynthesis. The reflection and transmission of the middle of the spectrum gives the leaves their green visual color.
Is that the only pigments in leaves, or plants.? Worth an investigation.

I found that graph by searching for the "photsynthesis and wavelength" in Bing.
Many more sites of relevance pop up.

What is ultraviolet light and how does it affect plants?

Ultraviolet light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that falls outside of the visible light spectrum. It can have both positive and negative effects on plants, such as stimulating growth and photosynthesis, but also causing damage to plant cells and DNA.

How much ultraviolet light can plants absorb?

The amount of ultraviolet light that plants can absorb varies depending on the type of plant and its exposure to UV light. Generally, plants are able to absorb a small amount of UV light, with some species being more tolerant than others.

What factors affect a plant's ability to absorb ultraviolet light?

Several factors can affect a plant's ability to absorb ultraviolet light, including the thickness and composition of its leaves, the amount of pigments present, and the plant's location and exposure to UV light. Plants that are grown in high altitudes or areas with intense sunlight tend to have a higher tolerance for UV light.

Can plants use ultraviolet light for photosynthesis?

Yes, plants can use a small amount of ultraviolet light for photosynthesis, but they primarily rely on visible light for this process. Ultraviolet light is mostly used by plants as a signal for growth and stress response, rather than as a source of energy.

Can too much ultraviolet light harm plants?

Yes, excessive exposure to ultraviolet light can harm plants by causing damage to their cells and DNA. This can lead to stunted growth, reduced photosynthesis, and even death in severe cases. It is important for plants to have a balance of UV light exposure in order to thrive.