What acceleration of blocks in given condition.

In summary: The tension in the first case is due to the force of gravity. The tension in the second case is due to the force of friction.
vkash
see this image
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5...AtMTZmMDU5ZGIwOGQx&hl=en_GB&authkey=CL3RqN4O"

something about question:=> a block M1 placed over M2 Nd M2 placed on the earth.A constant force F is applied in upward direction. You have to tell about the motion of M1 and M2 in condition as given below pulleys are frictionless and only friction is in between M1 and M2.

first case In first case friction is zero between both blocks so will block M1 and M2 is zero.
second case friction between M1 and M2 is very large.

tell me about acceleration about the bodies in both cases if you think more variable required to answer then introduce them.
My mind says that there will acceleration in Block M2 will something in second case but sometimes i think that acceleration of M2 will zero in both cases. I say there will acceleration in block M2 zero because force is in upward direction(this logic seeming wrong) but i think there will acceleration in block M2 because a force will act due to tension(string between M1 and pulley.

Guys put your thoughts here i will thankful for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First off, think about what forces will act on block M2. What force do you think would cause it to accelerate, what force is missing that you think would not cause acceleration? Why?

wbandersonjr said:
First off, think about what forces will act on block M2. What force do you think would cause it to accelerate, what force is missing that you think would not cause acceleration? Why?
need FBD see it
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5...QtOWNiNzA5YWUyYzE1&hl=en_GB&authkey=CPGLgL8N"
this is large image so download it before viewing else it will hard to see what's there.
thank's for replying. Waiting for other replies.

vkash said:
need FBD see it
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5...QtOWNiNzA5YWUyYzE1&hl=en_GB&authkey=CPGLgL8N"
this is large image so download it before viewing else it will hard to see what's there.
thank's for replying. Waiting for other replies.

In the first case, the acceleration of M2 is zero because there is no friction between M1 and M2. Thus, the acceleration of M1 will not affect M2.

In the second case, M2 will accelerate because there is friction between M1 and M2. If M1 accelerates, then the frictional force will cause M2 to accelerate forward. By how much? Depends on the amount of friction. The accelerations of the boxes can be found by applying Newton's Third Law since the frictional forces they exert on each other are equal. Since their masses are not equal, consequently, their accelerations will not equal.

Libohove90 said:
In the first case, the acceleration of M2 is zero because there is no friction between M1 and M2. Thus, the acceleration of M1 will not affect M2.

In the second case, M2 will accelerate because there is friction between M1 and M2. If M1 accelerates, then the frictional force will cause M2 to accelerate forward. By how much? Depends on the amount of friction. The accelerations of the boxes can be found by applying Newton's Third Law since the frictional forces they exert on each other are equal. Since their masses are not equal, consequently, their accelerations will not equal.

why the T (tension) I round in diagram (i put here in last post) make a change ? this tension is in both cases.

Related to What acceleration of blocks in given condition.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It measures how quickly the object's speed is changing.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

What factors affect the acceleration of a block?

The acceleration of a block can be affected by various factors, such as the force applied to the block, the mass of the block, and the surface or medium it is moving through. In general, a greater force will result in a greater acceleration, while a greater mass will result in a smaller acceleration. The type of surface or medium can also impact the friction and resistance, affecting the block's acceleration.

How do you determine the acceleration of a block in a specific condition?

To determine the acceleration of a block in a specific condition, you will need to know the force applied to the block, the mass of the block, and the characteristics of the surface or medium it is moving through. Using this information, you can use the formula a = F/m to calculate the acceleration. It is also important to consider any external factors, such as air resistance, that may affect the block's acceleration in a given condition.