What acceleration will bring you to rest right at the intersection?

In summary, the driver is traveling at a constant speed of 20 m/s towards an intersection 110m away. When the traffic light turns red, the driver takes 0.50s to react and begin applying the brakes. The driver covers a distance of 10m before starting to brake, and uses the equations v^2=u^2+2as and s=ut+0.5at^2 to calculate the acceleration needed to come to a complete stop at the intersection and the total time it takes to stop after the light changes.
jelder
You are driving to the grocery store at 20 m/s. You are 110m from an intersection when the traffic light turns red. Assume that your reaction time is 0.50s and that your car brakes with constant acceleration.

How far are you from the intersection when you begin to apply the brakes?

What acceleration will bring you to rest right at the intersection?

How long does it take you to stop after the light changes?

the known values:
vi=20m/s
xi=110m
t=.50s
vf=0m/s
xf=0m
a=?

Now how would i solve using the kinematic equations. I've been spending quite a while on this one problem that seems easy but can't get the right answers?

1) I know there is equation for the first question but I did it in my head and got 100m. I new it was correct but didn't feel confortable because I know there had got to be an equation to find that answer

2) the equation I got to find acceleration: v-vi/t but I got 40m/s^2 and that is incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part you know that you travel at 20m/s for 0.5 seconds, so you cover 10m using v=s/t, ie you're 100m from the lights when you apply the breaks, as you worked out.

For the second part, you can use [tex]v^2=u^2+2as[/tex] where v is the final velocity 0, u is the initial velocity 20, and s is the distance from the lights you worked out in part 1.

For the final part you can use [tex]s=ut+0.5at^2[/tex] where s and u are the same values from part 2, and the acceleration is what you work out from part 2.

Hope this helps!

thank you so much that helped a ton!

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between acceleration and deceleration?

Acceleration and deceleration are both related to changes in velocity, but they have opposite effects. Acceleration causes an increase in velocity, while deceleration causes a decrease in velocity. Acceleration is also a vector quantity, while deceleration is a scalar quantity.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either speed up or slow down an object's motion, depending on the direction of the acceleration. If the acceleration and velocity are in the same direction, the object will speed up. If they are in opposite directions, the object will slow down.

5. How does the acceleration of gravity affect an object's motion?

The acceleration of gravity, denoted by the symbol g, is a constant acceleration that causes objects to fall towards the Earth's surface. It is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This acceleration affects the motion of objects by causing them to increase in speed as they fall towards the ground.