Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What activities do you consider 'fun'?

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    I'm creating this thread to get some ideas on activities I could possibly do. I love golfing, hitting the batting cages, going to the movies, snowtubing, hiking etc. I'd like to know some other activites that some of you consider fun to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Playing guitar, gardening, making pickles and hot sauces, and photography all make the list. Until my knees went bad, so did downhill skiing and white-water canoing (class 4-5 rivers).

4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
    I gardened a little bit last summer and that was a lot of fun. I also want to learn the keyboard.

5. Apr 14, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I also consider astronomical research and cosmology fun, but the data-collection and data-reduction can get tedious. Also, I have to have music playing in the background whenever I'm working.

Fly-fishing is a BIG fun for me, too.

6. Apr 14, 2008 #5
    If I'm data collecting I can have music playing in the background, but when I'm trying to learn something I have to have silence.

7. Apr 14, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

-----, -----, -----, --------.

8. Apr 14, 2008 #7

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Fun? Astronomical observation, solving physics equations, tinkering with circuits, snowboarding, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, playing video games, computer programming, listening to music, playing music (what little I can) and just general activities involving friends!

9. Apr 14, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hiking, skiing, kyaking - I don't get to do any of these things nearly enough. Family get-togethers. Cooking, eating.

10. Apr 14, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might consider taking a martial arts or Tai chi chuan class.

I gave it up years ago but always enjoyed the martial arts. ...may even have a chance to take up something again in a couple of years.

Going fast on dirt bikes is always intense and a blast.

It's hard to beat the thrill of sliding down the face of a huge wave.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  11. Apr 14, 2008 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did martial arts for 3 years - loved it! I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed free-form sparring. It gave me a whole new appreciation of boxing.

12. Apr 14, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I just went through over 2 years of data-collection and reduction for a paper on observational astronomy and intergalactic gravitational interaction (with 2 collaborators that I have never met in person). We spent another couple of months bringing the paper in line with the expectations of a referee (a good exercise, BTW) and have re-submitted. This was really grinding work that department heads relegate to grad students, but it is nice to have in-depth knowledge about the robustness of one's data set, and I feel good about the paper.

13. Apr 14, 2008 #12

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I hear sex has been gaining popularity since 1963. That might be worth checking out.

I usually look for friends to spend time with; it doesn't really matter what we do. If that fails, I play online video games.

14. Apr 14, 2008 #13
    I pretty much just sit in front of my computer and play Flash games 6 hours a day.

15. Apr 14, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heh, yeah, a buddy and I liked to kick the crap out of each other.

I once went six rounds with a former Golden Gloves national champion. That was a mistake. :zzz:

16. Apr 14, 2008 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

sailing, snorkeling, bicycling. I also love cooking and drawing. Sculpting with clay. Making projects with wood, just about any craft project were I can make things with my hands or simple tools.

I love going to museums.

Things some of my friends do - hill climbing, rock climbing, mountain climbing, dancing.

17. Apr 14, 2008 #16

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Woolie's version of 'nod, nod, wink, wink! Say no more.'

18. Apr 14, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Before the knees went south, I used to love running. I ran (and skied) X-country in HS, and when the course was free of snow, I used to run it twice after school - then, I'd grab my stuff and run/jog home, over 3 miles away. I loved my ski-patrol work during those years, and when I went to college, I volunteered to teach downhill skiing in an intramural setting.

Most fun was running open-mike blues/rock jams at a local tavern on Sunday afternoons. It was only good for $125/for 4 hours, but it was great fun when parents would bring their kids to participate. We had some really talented pros and semi-pros showing up, too (close friends from HS on, in many instances) and it was fun to provide a supportive environment for young players, encourage them to take leads, etc. The most fun was when a kid had asked something like "how do you do those double-stop bends?" only to have them come back a week or two later and try to work those techniques into a song. Even better was when they'd come back after more practice and pull a technique off smoothly, grinning from ear to ear.

19. Apr 14, 2008 #18
    That's just a fad. I predict wearing paper hats will be the next "big thing" after this whole sex thing dies down. Give it a few more weeks.

20. Apr 14, 2008 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Damn! I thought I was ahead of the curve with the tin-foil hats! Paper doesn't keep out the dangerous pervasive signals.

21. Apr 14, 2008 #20
    Flying airplanes, driving my car, riding a motorcycle, hanging out with friends at a resturant drinking beer and eating good food, going to a club at night on the weekends. I dont know, there are lots of things you can find to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?