1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you consider both regular and rotational kinetic energy?

1. Apr 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If I have a ball moving in a circular path (ball is connected to a string), as shown in this picture:
    http://w3.shorecrest.org/~Lisa_Peck.../circularmotion/Images/cent_force_on_ball.gif

should I say that the energy of the ball is both its kinetic energy (1/2)mv^2 and its rotational kinetic energy = (1/2)Iomega^2?

2. Relevant equations
    kinetic energy (1/2)mv^2
    rotational kinetic energy = (1/2)Iomega^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was just thinking about this. I mean, what if you have a car moving in a circle--do you consider both kinetic energy and rotational kinetic energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello fangrz.

In principle, the total kinetic energy would include rotational KE as well as translational KE. However, if the radius R of the ball is much less than the radius r of the circle, then the rotational KE is very small compared to the translational KE. You can easily check this. So, the rotational KE is often neglected in this type of situation. Then the ball is effectively treated as a "point particle".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted