What actually happens when slicing occurs

• Thread starter sgstudent
  • Start date
In summary, when applying a net force on an object, it will have an acceleration. However, when using a knife to cut an object, the object should have no net force according to the equation F=ma. The force from the knife onto the object allows the object to be sliced as the knife exerts side-way forces on the parts of the object, causing them to move horizontally away. The board below the object does not act on the knife, but does act on the object. The net vertical force on the object is zero, so its center of mass will not move. The object is not completely rigid, so the part under the knife is compressed and the parts at the sides of the object move sideways, allowing the knife to
sgstudent

Homework Statement

I have only learned that when i apply a net force on an object, it will have an acceleration. However, when i use a knife to cut an object from what I've learned the object should have no net force as the contact force from the table to the object will be equal to the force from the knife onto the object. So what allows the object to be sliced?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't think of an answer. The board below shouldn't allow the knife to pass through it. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The board does not act on the knife. The knife experiences your force and some force from the object: There is a net vertical force on the knife, so it will accelerate and move through the object. Also, the knife is like a wedge, so it exerts side-way forces on the parts of the object,the parts will move horizontally away.

ehild

ehild said:
The board does not act on the knife. The knife experiences your force and some force from the object: There is a net vertical force on the knife, so it will accelerate and move through the object. Also, the knife is like a wedge, so it exerts side-way forces on the parts of the object,the parts will move horizontally away.

ehild

But won't the board act on the object? So won't it counter the downwards vertical force acted on the object by the knife? I understand the force being applied to the sides but not vertically downwards. Thanks for the help!

sgstudent said:
But won't the board act on the object? So won't it counter the downwards vertical force acted on the object by the knife? I understand the force being applied to the sides but not vertically downwards. Thanks for the help!

The board acts on the object, but not on the knife. The net vertical force on the object is zero, so its CM will not move.
On the other hand, the object -if it can be sliced- is not completely rigid. The part under the knife is compressed, and the parts at the sides of the object move sideways. That relaxes the stress under the knife edge and it can go deeper.

ehild

ehild said:
The board acts on the object, but not on the knife. The net vertical force on the object is zero, so its CM will not move.
On the other hand, the object -if it can be sliced- is not completely rigid. The part under the knife is compressed, and the parts at the sides of the object move sideways. That relaxes the stress under the knife edge and it can go deeper.

ehild

Oh that makes sense but could you elaborate on the "The part under the knife is compressed, and the parts at the sides of the object move sideways. That relaxes the stress under the knife edge and it can go deeper"? or is there a topic about the cutting so that i can read more about it?

Are we required to know about non-rigid bodies and how cutting and such stuff affect them in the UK based O levels? Cos' i kinda just thought about this and felt like it might be part of my syllabus haha :)

Thank ehild :smile:

Last edited:
That is connected to the elasticity of the solids, it is a bit more advanced topics. You can make experiments. If you press a balloon, for example, it becomes shorter and wider... When you step on wet sand, you can see your footprint, which is deeper than the ground, but the mud raised a bit around the footprint.

ehild

Attachments

• footprint.JPG
    footprint.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 376
ehild said:
That is connected to the elasticity of the solids, it is a bit more advanced topics. You can make experiments. If you press a balloon, for example, it becomes shorter and wider... When you step on wet sand, you can see your footprint, which is deeper than the ground, but the mud raised a bit around the footprint.

ehild

Oh! So it's something like when the knife sinks down the other parts gets risen. Haha I'll have to leave this for now, until i have a better concept about this :)

Try cutting a squishy cake - the effect is clearer there!

1. How does the slicing process occur?

During slicing, a sharp blade is used to cut through an object, separating it into thinner pieces. The blade creates a clean, straight cut by applying pressure and friction to the surface of the object.

2. What happens to the molecules of the object when it is sliced?

When an object is sliced, the molecules are separated along the cut line. This separation creates two distinct surfaces, with the molecules on each side having slightly different properties due to the break in their bonds.

3. Can slicing change the chemical composition of an object?

In most cases, slicing does not change the chemical composition of an object. However, in some cases, the exposure to air and moisture after slicing can cause oxidation and chemical changes to occur on the surface of the sliced object.

4. How does the thickness of the slice affect the outcome?

The thickness of the slice can have a significant impact on the outcome. Thicker slices will result in larger surfaces and more exposed molecules, potentially leading to faster spoilage or chemical changes. Thinner slices are easier to work with and may lead to a more even and consistent result.

5. Is there a difference in the slicing process for different types of objects?

Yes, the slicing process can vary depending on the type of object being sliced. Different objects may require different blade types, angles, and techniques to achieve the desired result. For example, slicing through a hard fruit like an apple may require more force and a sharper blade compared to slicing through a soft fruit like a banana.