What affects tangential acceleration and normal or c?

In summary: The normal acceleration affects the angle of the velocity vector while the tangential acceleration affects the size of the velocity vector.
Lenjaku
I was wondering if acceleration (a) is the speed in which speed changes how come it can b higher than 0 and still v=0?

like when there is a force pulling from the other side, the body won't move but since there is force there is acceleration.

So which is which?
Does the tangential acceleration affect the angle of the velocity vector?
and its size the speed in which the speed would change?
then what does the normal acceleration does?

It was clear at first but after solving some problems I got confused -.-

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration only occurs when there is a net force on an object. If sum of all the forces (treated as vectors) acting on an object equals zero, then there is no net force and no acceleration.

Lenjaku said:
... like when there is a force pulling from the other side, the body won't move but since there is force there is acceleration...

One must look at the net i.e. the resultant force acting on the body.

If this resultant force is zero then the acceleration must be also zero.

I had a problem where I had static friction and force in opposite directions and I had to find the time in which the object will start moving (while the force was represented with t for time).
So I went ahead and found the max static friction and found the time needed but when I tried the t I found in the general equation of ma I got a positive number.
Teh t I found works for

The force worked on another object which was tied to this 1 with idialistic rope.

-fs+T=ma
a turns to be 0.

(T for tension)

But then why the x component won't be 0 when I calculate it with t?
this is teh equation:
a(t)=0.8163*t-2.64

And there is this equation:
-fs+T=ma
T=3.63636*t
then : fs=T
fs=15.68
so t=4.31

a turned to be:0.8163*t-2.64

I don't get why it is not a 0...
a(t=4.31)=0.8163*4.31-2.64=0.878...

Attachments

• ex.png
    ex.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
Could you please clarify your post and original question a little bit?
Normal acceleration and tangential acceleration are related to rotational movement.

1. What is tangential acceleration and how does it differ from normal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate at which the tangential velocity of an object changes. It is a measure of how quickly the direction of an object's motion is changing. Normal acceleration, on the other hand, is the rate at which the normal velocity of an object changes. It is a measure of how quickly the speed of an object is changing.

2. What factors affect tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is affected by the net force acting on an object and the object's mass. The greater the net force, the greater the tangential acceleration. Similarly, the greater the mass of the object, the smaller the tangential acceleration will be for a given net force.

3. How does tangential acceleration relate to circular motion?

Tangential acceleration is a crucial component in circular motion. Since the direction of an object's motion is constantly changing in circular motion, there is always a tangential acceleration present. This acceleration acts perpendicular to the object's instantaneous velocity and keeps the object moving in a circular path.

4. What is the relationship between tangential acceleration and angular acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and angular acceleration are closely related. Tangential acceleration is a linear acceleration, while angular acceleration is a rotational acceleration. However, the two are connected through the radius of the circular path. The tangential acceleration is equal to the radius times the angular acceleration.

5. How does centripetal force affect tangential acceleration?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path and is responsible for keeping an object moving in that path. Since tangential acceleration is necessary for circular motion, centripetal force indirectly affects tangential acceleration. Without centripetal force, an object would continue moving in a straight line and there would be no tangential acceleration.