How to maintain motivation without relying on external triggers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Frigus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Motivation Video
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 4K views
universe function said:
The definition I have of shame is in accordance with reality
Definitions, by definition, are definitions. They are human constructs, not observations about reality.

In the words of the immortal Humpty Dumpty, "when I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: phinds and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to self evaluate myself and I am not very clear about my goals,i am not able to find a solid reason for working hard.
Should i have a clear goal?
Whenever i try to think about goals i start having existential crisis and i can't get to any point because of the same reason that we are going to die.
 
Hemant said:
Whenever i try to think about goals i start having existential crisis and i can't get to any point because of the same reason that we are going to die.
Of course we are all going to die. The question is, do you want to have a happy and productive life while you are alive. I suggest you study Maslow's "Hierarchy of Needs" and use that as a basis for thinking about what you want to do with your life going forward.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and Frigus
phinds said:
Of course we are all going to die. The question is, do you want to have a happy and productive life while you are alive. I suggest you study Maslow's "Hierarchy of Needs" and use that as a basis for thinking about what you want to do with your life going forward.
Thanks for sharing this phinds🙂,
It feels to me that this will add value to my life but I also feel that it will not long last because whenever i see something new i get excited and all the bad thoughts get away from my mind but as time passes i start getting same bad thoughts again.
How can i overcome this problem?
Thanks again.
 
Hemant said:
I tried to self evaluate myself and I am not very clear about my goals,i am not able to find a solid reason for working hard.
Should i have a clear goal?
Whenever i try to think about goals i start having existential crisis and i can't get to any point because of the same reason that we are going to die.
Perhaps it is better to solve the problem of death, which is a spirituality topic. But if i say something else about it, it is not bad , but i think i am not allowed to say things like that in physics forums. Or am i?

But doing physics and math is not bad. Or learning languages or doing sports.