What are all the currently known nosecone/ogive geometries?

• Thread starter Pejeu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the individual is looking to submit a proposal for a new type of nosecone geometry that they believe has not been previously considered. They are seeking someone more knowledgeable and experienced in aerodynamics to further research and develop the idea, with the possibility of being credited if the idea is successful. The individual clarifies that their proposed geometry is not any of the commonly used designs, and acknowledges the potential that it may have already been explored and rejected. They are advised to reach out to experts in the field, but to also be aware that many ideas from non-experts are not valuable.
Pejeu
And how do I go about submitting a proposal of a new type of nosecone geometry I'm pretty sure has not been considered so far so that someone else may study it, test it, appraise it and write a paper on it?

I just want someone more knowledgeable and smarter than myself (an complete layman in aerodynamics) to pick up the kernel of the idea and do some professional, in depth research to develop it to a state where it becomes employed technology.

I just want a footnote mention somewhere if it all pans out. :)

My nosecone geometry is NOT parabolic.

And NOT ogive, secant, ogive, conical, hemispherical or elliptical, power series, Haack series, Von Kármán, Aerospike or any combination thereof.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pejeu said:
And NOT ogive, secant, ogive, conical, hemispherical or elliptical, power series, Haack series, Von Kármán, Aerospike or any combination thereof.
Chances are still good it has been considered (multiple times) and discarded.
You can find experts and send them a mail. Be aware of their view, however: experts often get various "ideas" from non-experts and most of them are completely worthless. Most ideas of experts are not good as well, but experts check their ideas (and know how to check them) before they share them.

1. What is the purpose of a nosecone or ogive on a rocket or missile?

The primary purpose of a nosecone or ogive on a rocket or missile is to reduce drag and improve aerodynamics. It also helps to protect the payload or payload compartment from the intense heat and pressure of atmospheric entry.

2. What are the most commonly used nosecone/ogive geometries?

The most commonly used nosecone/ogive geometries include conical, parabolic, elliptical, and tangent ogives. These shapes vary in terms of their length, width, and curvature, and are chosen based on the specific needs and specifications of the rocket or missile.

3. How do the different nosecone/ogive geometries affect flight performance?

The different nosecone/ogive geometries can have a significant impact on the flight performance of a rocket or missile. For example, a conical nosecone is simple and easy to manufacture, but it may not be as aerodynamically efficient as a parabolic or elliptical nosecone. On the other hand, a tangent ogive can provide a good balance between aerodynamics and payload space.

4. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing a nosecone/ogive geometry?

In addition to aerodynamics and payload space, other factors to consider when choosing a nosecone/ogive geometry include the speed and altitude of the rocket or missile, the material and weight of the nosecone, and the cost and manufacturing capabilities of the chosen shape.

5. Are there any new or experimental nosecone/ogive geometries being developed?

Yes, there are ongoing research and development efforts to explore new and innovative nosecone/ogive geometries that could potentially improve flight performance and reduce costs. Some examples include the use of non-axisymmetric shapes, such as the bi-convex or bi-concave ogive, and the incorporation of advanced materials, such as carbon fiber composites.

Back