What Are Frame Bundles on Manifolds and Why Are They Important?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
39 replies · 12K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
- 1,089
- 10
Sorry again for my slowness, Quasar. I understand that Gl(n,R)=Det-1(ℝ\{0}), which is open, yada, yada; I realized where my confusion lay.
Anyway, another dumb question; I am also trying to teach myself some bundles: (my apologies, my quoting button is disabled for some reason): say you are considering the case of a vector bundle ( thinking mostly of tangent bundle), in a situation where you have a metric defined. It would then make sense to define the complement bundle to be the ortho-complement (with respect to this metric), right? Is there anything special to this choice?
Anyway, another dumb question; I am also trying to teach myself some bundles: (my apologies, my quoting button is disabled for some reason): say you are considering the case of a vector bundle ( thinking mostly of tangent bundle), in a situation where you have a metric defined. It would then make sense to define the complement bundle to be the ortho-complement (with respect to this metric), right? Is there anything special to this choice?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 4,796
- 32
I'm not sure I follow you. You are thinking of the case where (M,g) is a riemannian manifold. Then you have the projection map pr:TM-->M and its differential pr*:T(TM)-->TM and you want a complementary subbundle to V:=ker(pr*). You cannot just pullback g to T(TM) via pr, and use that to define H:=V[itex]^{\perp}[/itex] because pr*g is very degenerate: pr* vanishes on V and so V[itex]^{\perp}[/itex]=T(TM).
Is this what you were thinking?
Is this what you were thinking?
Science Advisor
- 1,089
- 10
For the sake of background: I ended up studying bundles by mistake:
My girlfriend wanted to take a class in cosmetology, but she misread the
instructions in the webpage, and ended up registering for cosmology instead
. Since there were no refunds, and she knew no math,I had to help her.
Then I became interested in bundles.
My girlfriend wanted to take a class in cosmetology, but she misread the
instructions in the webpage, and ended up registering for cosmology instead
. Since there were no refunds, and she knew no math,I had to help her.
Then I became interested in bundles.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 4,377
- 684
Even in graduate GR, I never had to use bundles for cosmology, seems weird. XD
Similar threads
- Fredrik
- · Replies 16 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 16
- WWGD
- · Replies 6 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 6
- eok20
- · Replies 3 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 3
- selfAdjoint
- · Replies 2 ·
- Differential Geometry
- Replies
- 2
- Feynman
- · Replies 2 ·
- Calculus and Beyond Homework Help
- Replies
- 2