What are great places in US or UK for a physicist to visit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tio Barnabe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physicist Uk
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
46 replies · 8K views
kennedy space center in florida
or
the science museum in boston massachusetts
or
the museums in washington DC (aerospace )
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tio Barnabe, jim hardy and ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
Air force museum Dayton Ohio.
Wright Brothers wind tunnel and instruments , plenty of airplanes including a B36,
plan on a whole day.

Another fine aviation museum in Winnipeg Canada.

.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tio Barnabe
I think it's interesting to visit the graves of famous scientists. The UK would have some really old ones.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tio Barnabe and ISamson
I would suggest MIT or Harvard since they often do physics research or another college that is working on teleportation. I can't remember which one I am thinking of but if you look it up you should be able to find it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tio Barnabe and ISamson
Judging by your posts Uncle Barnabe, i'd guess you are a physicist of some renown who would be most welcome at any university.
I hope you post photos of your trip.

old jim
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tio Barnabe
Wilson Donald Rohan said:
I like the Chicago Science museum. They have the first cyclotron, plus related items...

“Chicago Science Museum”?

If you mean the Museum of Science and Industry, I’d like to know where this “first cyclotron” exhibit is located. Didn’t know Berkeley would let something like this be transported to Chicago and be displayed here instead.

Zz.
 
clope023 said:
Smithsonian Air and Space Museums ...

If you like Air Museums...

bz-panel-01-25-12 - AIR-MUSEUM-JOKE-.jpg
 
Attachments
  • bz-panel-01-25-12 - AIR-MUSEUM-JOKE-.jpg
    bz-panel-01-25-12 - AIR-MUSEUM-JOKE-.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tio Barnabe, jtbell, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
Tio Barnabe said:
As the title says, any ideas of great places that a physicist tourist could visit in US or UK?

I have been thinking about the Cavendish laboratory, Cambridge University, but I don't know whether it's open for visitors.

The best places are those where no one understands physics, as you may get the answer to something that has been puzzling you from a totally unexpected place. Like inventions - Most inventions are not the work of scholars or scientists, there usually discovered by accident in a garden shed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tio Barnabe and NTL2009
EnglandSP said:
The best places are those where no one understands physics, as you may get the answer to something that has been puzzling you from a totally unexpected place. Like inventions - Most inventions are not the work of scholars or scientists, there usually discovered by accident in a garden shed.

Good point. Along those lines, I would recommend (in Dearborn, Michigan, near Detroit):

https://www.thehenryford.org/visit/henry-ford-museum/
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tio Barnabe
ZapperZ said:
I’d like to know where this “first cyclotron” exhibit is located.

The real one is in the Lawrence Hall of Science, Berkeley, CA. The first research cyclotron (the first one was proof-of-cocept) is also at Berkeley, having been returned from London.
 
Vanadium 50 said:
The real one is in the Lawrence Hall of Science, Berkeley, CA. The first research cyclotron (the first one was proof-of-cocept) is also at Berkeley, having been returned from London.

That's what I thought as well, which was why I asked this member where exactly at MSI this "first cyclotron" exhibit is. I know MSI quite a bit, although, not as well as I know the 3 museums in the Chicago Museum campus downtown.

Zz.
 
Back during the mid 1960's I used to love visiting the Los Angeles Museum of Science and Industry in Exposition Park, in particular, the Mathematica display. This was a colaborative effort between IBM and the Eames design team. The display is long gone (the museum has been completely rebuilt to meet seismic code and renamed the California Science Center), but the display is intact at the Museum of Science in Boston. They spent a year refurbishing it and I think they are finished now. I don't know if it would interest a physicist, but as a child, I found it inspiring.
 
ZapperZ said:
That's what I thought as well, which was why I asked this member where exactly at MSI this "first cyclotron" exhibit is. I know MSI quite a bit, although, not as well as I know the 3 museums in the Chicago Museum campus downtown.

Zz.
This is interesting. I guess the cyclotron that I saw at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry (that I visited in 2005) was not the first. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...135.1073741968.100000087721041&type=3&theater
photo.php
 
It would be cool to visit the LIGO interferometer considering it’s founders received the Nobel prize in physics this year.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wilson Donald Rohan
If you are in Idaho, and you want to see something really unusual, I suggest the Experimental Breeder Reactor 1 exhibit and the two atomic aircraft engines: HTRE1 and HTRE3 on display outside. They are part of the Idaho National Laboratory. To get there, take I-26 southeast from Arco, Idaho. Turn left at Van Buren Blvd. and left again toward the display. It is open from Memorial Day to Labor day, Monday through Sunday, 9 am to 5 pm.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy