What Are Heavy Holes, Light Holes, and Split Off Holes in Semiconductors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Holes Light
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 22K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A hole is just a valence band with one missing electron. A semiconductor is just a material that has its conduction electron concentration within a certain range. A direct-gap semiconductor is just a semiconductor with the conduction band edge and the valence band edge on the same vertical in the k-E graph.

But then my book talks about heavy holes and light holes and split off holes and I just don't understand what they are.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?

http://touch.caltech.edu/courses/EE40%20Web%20Files/Supplements/01_Effective_Mass.pdf​
 
Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
Does this help?

http://touch.caltech.edu/courses/EE40%20Web%20Files/Supplements/01_Effective_Mass.pdf​

Sorry, not really. I just don't understand what they are. I don't understand how you can have three different valence bands when I thought by definition there was only one?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
anyone?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! I NEED TO UNDERSTAND THIS! What is a heavy hole and what is a light hole?
 
Last edited: