1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are kinetic and geometric constraints?

1. Jun 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is to specify all forces and constraints that are applied in a system of a two-seat merry go round model in terms of the generalised coordinates - and their type (e.g. geometric, kinetic).

http://i.imgur.com/FQ7PJyg.png

The system is modelled as central vertical rotation axis, with two identical pendulum-sticks attached to its top. Each pendulum is a (weightless) elastic stick of length L with a point-mass mattached to its end. The elastic sticks have a spring constant K [N/m]. The sticks are free to rotate horizontally around the central vertical axis (described by an angle φ), and can also move relative to the central vertical pole (indicated by angle θ in below Figure). The generalised coordinates are the two angles θ and φ [in radians] and extension x [in meters] of both sticks.

2. Relevant equations
    I have no idea what the relevant equations for this problem are. I think these equations may be relevant:
    • F=ma
    • Fcentripetal=mv2/r
    • v=rω

3. The attempt at a solution
    So first to specify all the forces there is the gravitational force of the point masses which is always mg. I guess this is geometric. Than you have the centripetal force. The angular velocity is de time derivative of angle θ and the radius is lenght L + extension x. So centripetal force can be written as Fcentripetal=mrω2 --> m(L+x)(dθ/dt)2. And I guess this is kinetic.
    This is about everything I can come up with for this question but there are still some unanswered things. What is a constraint (both geometric and kinetic) and what does angle φ stand for? The reason I ask what angle φ stands for is because I don't get the description "The sticks are free to rotate horizontally around the central vertical axis (described by an angle φ)". The picture doesn't show an angle φ so that's why I am confused. A little help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2015 #2
    I think you are working on Lagrangian mechanics so think about Lagrangian function of action.

4. Jun 7, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I believe the "type (e.g. geometric, kinetic)" refers to constraints, not to forces. Certainly I would not describe mg as 'geometric'.
    It asks for "all forces and constraints that are applied". Centripetal force is not an applied force. I guess you could characterise it as a constraint.
    To see angle φ you need to look at the plan view, i.e. what does it look like from above? ##\dot\phi## would be the angular velocity about the vertical axis.
    That's the angular velocity about a horizontal axis perpendicular to the plane containing the pendulum 'sticks'.
    At any instant, both φ and θ may be changing, so the overall angular velocity is the vector sum of the two.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted