1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are my chances, help me choose a safe school

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    Hi, i am an international student from Peru and i want to get a second bachelors degree in united states.
    My first bachelor is industrial engieering (i hate it), i am applying for computer science.
    I have a 4.0 gpa equivalent and in the top 5% in my college, and some good recommendation letters. no interesting extra currircular activies, some work experience, really bad essays. bad high school grades. I am taking the TOEFL next week, and i am sure i will get a score of 90-100 range
    so far i am going to apply to this universities:
    Texas Austin
    Illinois at urbana champaign
    Maryland
    University of Wisconsin Madison
    Purdue
    University of Minnesota twin cities

do i have a shot at getting into any of them?
    should i apply to a lower ranked school?
    (btw i am applying as a transfer student, and i am sure those unis allow second bachelors)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. Jan 29, 2012 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The OP was interested in a BS in CS in the USA. I'm not sure that a program that offers a scholarship for a different degree with a different major in a different country is as applicable as it might be.

5. Jan 29, 2012 #4
    Thanks for that info, i have considered the conversion course, but i dont think it will give me enough knowledge, its only 1 year long!!
    I want to apply for a second bs, since i have pretty much 0 knowledge of C.S and i want to know all the fundamentals. Later i want to go to grad school.
    i don't have 2 year work exp, so i dont qualify for that scholarship

6. Jan 29, 2012 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That scholarship is also not in CS, so it won't help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook