What are my chances of getting into UIUC or Purdue

In summary, the junior in high school has researched the admissions process for Purdue and UIUC and finds that he has a good chance of admission to either school. He likes physics and computer science, but is not sure if he wants to major in these subjects. GPA: 3.2, ACT: 30, extracurriculars: member of computer science club, officer in jewish youth group, and participant in PADS. He plans to spend a lot of time on his admissions essay.
throwaway1234
I'm a junior in high school and looking at applying to Purdue and UIUC. I was curious to see what my chances were of getting into either of these schools. I like physics and computer science, but am not sure if i want to major in them.

GPA - 3.2
ACT - 30
Extracurriculars - I am a member of my school's computer science club, I am officer status in a chapter of a national jewish youth group, and I participate in PADS(Helping the homeless)
I will be spending a lot of time on my essay as well

With this information could someone give me my chances of getting into either of these schools?

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about UIUC, but purdue is definitely a real possibility, assuming you can maintain or raise your gpa. If you are an Indiana resident you are basically locked into purdue.

What classes are you taking/have you taken? Any AP math/science classes?

A passing thought: the engineering department at purdue is the most selective, so the physics major would likely more safe than the CS department (they call it computer engineering, i believe) -- but you've got a shot at both.

anonymity said:
A passing thought: the engineering department at purdue is the most selective, so the physics major would likely more safe than the CS department (they call it computer engineering, i believe) -- but you've got a shot at both.

Computer science is a very different field than computer engineering and has its own distinct department at Purdue (as it does at most universities).

zif. said:
Computer science is a very different field than computer engineering and has its own distinct department at Purdue (as it does at most universities).

Good news for the OP

edit: if you're looking for a thoughtful/more-informed answer to this question, i would check out college confidential. There are two places you can try: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/ (a subforum dedicated to this type of question), and http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/alphabetic-list-colleges/ (a list of all of the subforums dedicated to individual universities, which you can use to navigate to Purdue and UIUC, and post your info there).

If you do re-post your question, I would include a brief list of courses relevant to the science/engineering/computer science majors (APs/honors/calculus/programming/etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth - I applied to both schools ~10 years ago and got into their Electrical Engineering programs with similar credentials (but did not attend either). I had a 29 on my ACT (36 math, 32 science) and a 3.4gpa (ranking 40/300).

I still love UIUC's campus, one of the most beautiful and well kept up in the country.

FAQ: What are my chances of getting into UIUC or Purdue

What are my chances of getting into UIUC or Purdue?

The chances of getting into UIUC or Purdue depend on a variety of factors, including your academic background, extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. Both universities have highly competitive admissions processes, so it is important to have a strong application overall.

What are the average GPA and test scores for admitted students at UIUC and Purdue?

The average GPA and test scores for admitted students at UIUC and Purdue vary depending on the program and major. Generally, UIUC has an average GPA of 3.65 and an average SAT score of 1455, while Purdue has an average GPA of 3.69 and an average SAT score of 1395. However, it is important to note that these are just averages and do not guarantee admission.

Do UIUC and Purdue have any specific requirements for admission?

Both UIUC and Purdue have their own specific requirements for admission, which can vary by program and major. Some programs may require certain courses or test scores, while others may have specific essay prompts. It is important to thoroughly research the requirements for your desired program at each university.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting into UIUC or Purdue?

To increase your chances of getting into UIUC or Purdue, you can focus on maintaining a strong academic record, participating in meaningful extracurricular activities, and writing a compelling personal statement. Additionally, you can research and reach out to current students or alumni to learn more about the programs and get tips for the application process.

Are there any alternative options if I don't get accepted to UIUC or Purdue?

If you don't get accepted to UIUC or Purdue, there are always alternative options. You can apply to other universities or consider transferring to UIUC or Purdue after completing your first year at a different institution. You can also explore other career paths or opportunities that may be available to you. Remember, your college experience is what you make of it, and there are many paths to success.