What are Pipe Minor and Major Diameters in Tapered Whitworth Threads?

In summary, the terms Pipe Minor Diameter, Pipe Major Diameter, and Tapping Drill Size refer to specific measurements and sizes used in the Tapered Whitworth pipe thread form. These can be found in the link provided and are used to determine the appropriate drill size for creating a hole to be tapped for a female connection. Further clarification may be needed from a European member with more knowledge on this thread form.
optics.tech
Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.accuratescrew.com/TechTips/images/tip8_screw1a.gif should help. Also, the tapping drill size is the size drill used to produce a hole which can be tapped for a female connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tapered Whitworth threads? Hoo. That's something you don't see every day in my parts. I can only guess as to what is referenced, but it appears that, at some gauge point determined in the thread spec, the major and minor diameters are still of the pipe thread. The tap drill size is just that, it is the drill bit size you predrill the hole for to prepare for running the desired tap through.

One of our Brit friends will have to verify that. I can't find anything specific to this thread form in Machinery's under this title. It is probably referenced under a different description and I just haven't found it yet. I'll keep looking.

EDIT: I found it in Machinery's. The Major diameter is definitely the major diameter of the thread form. The pipe minor diameter has me a bit stumped. It is not the minor of the thread form. For example, for the 1/16 nominal size (the first in the list) the minor diameter of the thread form is listed as 6.561. In that table it is listed as 3. That must mean that the pipe ID is 3mm. Unfortunately Machinery's doesn't go into a lot of detail for the tapered thread form as it does for the straight thread form. I will still have to yield to one of our European members for some assistance on this one. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Related to What are Pipe Minor and Major Diameters in Tapered Whitworth Threads?

1. What is a "I Need Help Reading Table"?

A "I Need Help Reading Table" is a type of table that is designed to assist individuals in improving their reading skills. It typically includes columns with words or phrases and corresponding images to help with comprehension and identification.

2. Who can benefit from using a "I Need Help Reading Table"?

Anyone who wants to improve their reading skills can benefit from using a "I Need Help Reading Table". This can include children who are learning to read, individuals with learning disabilities, or non-native speakers.

3. How should I use a "I Need Help Reading Table"?

There is no one specific way to use a "I Need Help Reading Table" as it can be tailored to individual needs. However, it is generally recommended to start by focusing on one column at a time and using the corresponding images to help with understanding the words or phrases.

4. Are there specific techniques or strategies to use when using a "I Need Help Reading Table"?

Yes, there are various techniques and strategies that can be used when using a "I Need Help Reading Table". Some examples include using the table as a visual aid while reading a book, practicing with a partner, or creating your own personalized table with words and images that are relevant to your specific reading goals.

5. Can a "I Need Help Reading Table" be used for other purposes besides improving reading skills?

Yes, a "I Need Help Reading Table" can also be used for other purposes such as learning a new language, improving vocabulary, or practicing spelling and writing. It can also be a useful tool for individuals with memory impairments to help with word recall and recognition.