Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are projections for? When do we need to use them?

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] What are projections for? When do we need to use them?

I understand the concept of projections, and I can do problems that require it pretty easily. But I don't get what the applications of projections are? Can anyone tell me some.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you mean in linear algebra? Or some other area?

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3
    Yes, well for linear algebra i think projections are the same concept as dot products.... but I would like to know some real world applications of this concept. What is it used for?? Any specific examples??

5. Feb 27, 2008 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The map you carry in you car and the floor plan of your house, just to name a couple down-to-earth examples.

6. Feb 27, 2008 #5
    I don't get it =(

7. Feb 27, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are pushing a box up an inclined plane the "net force" you are pushing against is the projection of the weight vector (mg pointing straight down) on the plane.

8. Feb 27, 2008 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your shadow. Or, the shape of the area blocked from the light source when light is intercepted by a 3-D object with particular geometric characteristics.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  9. Feb 27, 2008 #8
    This might be an out-there idea, but have you considered the entire field of trigonometry?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?