What Are Quick Hot Appetizer Ideas for an Office Potluck?

  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot Ideas
In summary, like most people, when I need a recipe or cooking advice, I head straight to the Physics Forums. However, as this is an appetizer cookbook, I am out of luck.
  • #1
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,652
38
Like most people, when I need a recipe or cooking advice, I head straight to the Physics Forums.

OK, so I'm on the hook for an office pot luck contribution next week. I'm going to make some kind of hot appetizer. My first idea was frozen mini pastry puff appetizers (from Trader Joes) but it seems these are going to take 30 minutes in the oven. I'm looking for something in the 15 minute prep and cook time range.

We have an oven on site, so that helps matters, but there may be a lot of competition for it as several people will be bringing things to heat up.

Any brilliant ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
This one is popular in Holland

pastei_kippenragout.jpg


chicken pasty or vol au vent
 
  • #3
That looks yummy, Andre, but I think it might take too much time to make. I'm thinking fast and easy like "pigs in a blanket" or something.
 
  • #4
I read on some website that someone had used Poptarts for appies for a pot luck. He cut the Poptarts into squares and stuck toothpicks on them and put them on a tray. I thought that was pretty funny. They guy who did it said they were a big hit, too!
 
  • #5
I googled the following:

"15 minutes in the oven" appetizer

Here's one hit:
Parmesan Garlic Potatoes
This is another very easy one to make that only takes about 5 minutes to prepare and 10-15 minutes in the oven.

You will need:
4 Large Baking Potatoes
Parmesan cheese
Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper to taste
Olive Oil

Directions: Cut potatoes into small wedges or slices and arrange on a foil lined baking sheet. Lightly brush olive oil on potatoes and then sprinkle Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper on the potato wedges. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are done.

Variations: You can add many other seasonings or toppings to these, such as shredded cheese, bacon bits or crumbles, red pepper flakes, seasoned salt, or others.
 
  • #6
Do you have a crockpot?
 
  • #7
Iv always been a big fan of those dixie wiener things wrapped in monterrey jack cheese.
 
  • #8
It's probably best to stick with the classics:

Spam Tater-Tot Velveeta De-lites

"Served hot or cold, this savory party favorite is sure to be the last snack on the tray!"

Serves 3 - 103

  • 1 can SPAM
  • 1 loaf Velveeta
  • 1 bag Tater Tots
  • 1 bunch of decorative Toothpicks

1. Arrange Tater Tots on cookie sheet and bake, as directed on the bag, at 450 for 20 minutes or until crisp, golden-brown, and appealing. (It's probably best to play it safe here and just do them for the 20 minutes.)

0. I forgot to tell you: You've got to pre-heat the oven first.

2. Slice the Spam into thin slices which would be about large enough each to put one Tater Tot on top of, taking into account shrinkage due to frying.

3. Fry the Spam slices until they're resistant, in the Italian phrase, "to the teeth."

4. Slice the Velveeta into thin slices which would be about large enough to secure over a Tater Tot resting on a slice of fried Spam with a decorative toothpick before melting.

5. Arrange the slices of fried Spam on another cookie sheet. On each, place a Tater Tot and then a Velveeta slice, securing the arrangement with a decorative toothpick. Bake at 300 for 10 minutes, or until the Velveeta has melted over the Tater Tots and onto the fried Spam, the cookie sheet, and the oven floor.

6. Garnish with gherkins, capers, carrot curls, celery stalks, cucumber sticks, and radish florets, and enjoy. If you're serving them cold and congealed, try a warm Wesson-and-salt dip.
 
  • #9
SCALLOPS WRAPPED IN BACON!

10 minutes under the broiler.

Step 1: wrap scallops in bacon

Step 2: Broil for 10 minutes.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
eat
 
  • #10
Good question, I recently bought an appetizer cookbook with appetizers from different cuisines, but it appears to have vanished from my house.

I do have a yummy recipe for chocolate truffles though. Ingredients: whipping cream, pure chocolate, butter, cacaopowder. Criminal :!)
 
  • #11
jimmysnyder said:
I googled the following:

"15 minutes in the oven" appetizer

Here's one hit:
Parmesan Garlic Potatoes
This is another very easy one to make that only takes about 5 minutes to prepare and 10-15 minutes in the oven.

You will need:
4 Large Baking Potatoes
Parmesan cheese
Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper to taste
Olive Oil

Directions: Cut potatoes into small wedges or slices and arrange on a foil lined baking sheet. Lightly brush olive oil on potatoes and then sprinkle Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper on the potato wedges. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are done.

Variations: You can add many other seasonings or toppings to these, such as shredded cheese, bacon bits or crumbles, red pepper flakes, seasoned salt, or others.

That sounds good. I do almost exactly this recipe but I use califlower instead of potatoes.

Evo said:
Do you have a crockpot?

Yes, several.

Oh wait, you said crockpot. No, I don't have one of those. Maybe I could borrow one, though.

Topher925 said:
Iv always been a big fan of those dixie wiener things wrapped in monterrey jack cheese.

What's a dixie wiener?
 
  • #12
Vanadium 50 said:
It's probably best to stick with the classics:

Spam Tater-Tot Velveeta De-lites

"Served hot or cold, this savory party favorite is sure to be the last snack on the tray!"

Serves 3 - 103

  • 1 can SPAM
  • 1 loaf Velveeta
  • 1 bag Tater Tots
  • 1 bunch of decorative Toothpicks

1. Arrange Tater Tots on cookie sheet and bake, as directed on the bag, at 450 for 20 minutes or until crisp, golden-brown, and appealing. (It's probably best to play it safe here and just do them for the 20 minutes.)

0. I forgot to tell you: You've got to pre-heat the oven first.

2. Slice the Spam into thin slices which would be about large enough each to put one Tater Tot on top of, taking into account shrinkage due to frying.

3. Fry the Spam slices until they're resistant, in the Italian phrase, "to the teeth."

4. Slice the Velveeta into thin slices which would be about large enough to secure over a Tater Tot resting on a slice of fried Spam with a decorative toothpick before melting.

5. Arrange the slices of fried Spam on another cookie sheet. On each, place a Tater Tot and then a Velveeta slice, securing the arrangement with a decorative toothpick. Bake at 300 for 10 minutes, or until the Velveeta has melted over the Tater Tots and onto the fried Spam, the cookie sheet, and the oven floor.

6. Garnish with gherkins, capers, carrot curls, celery stalks, cucumber sticks, and radish florets, and enjoy. If you're serving them cold and congealed, try a warm Wesson-and-salt dip.
:-p Do you suggest those little plastic toothpicks for added flavor and texture?
 
  • #13
Vanadium 50 said:
  • 1 can SPAM
  • 1 loaf Velveeta
  • 1 bag Tater Tots

Mmmmm.. my three favorite foods, together at last!
 
  • #14
Chi Meson said:
SCALLOPS WRAPPED IN BACON!

10 minutes under the broiler.

Step 1: wrap scallops in bacon

Step 2: Broil for 10 minutes.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
eat

That sounds really elegant. Almost too good for my ungrateful coworkers who will be bringing Jello salad and Cheez-Whiz with Ritz crackers.
 
  • #15
Math Is Hard said:
That sounds really elegant. Almost too good for my ungrateful coworkers who will be bringing Jello salad and Cheez-Whiz with Ritz crackers.
and from last year. :biggrin:
 
  • #16
Monique said:
Good question, I recently bought an appetizer cookbook with appetizers from different cuisines, but it appears to have vanished from my house.

I do have a yummy recipe for chocolate truffles though. Ingredients: whipping cream, pure chocolate, butter, cacaopowder. Criminal :!)

I'll PM you my mailing address. o:)
 
  • #17
Astronuc said:
and from last year. :biggrin:

and from last year!
 
  • #18
Split jalapenos, scrape out all veins and seeds if you work with wimps. Stuff with a mix of cream cheese and crumbled crispy bacon, top with shredded Monterey Jack and bake in a preheated oven until the shredded cheese browns. Easy and really tasty.
 
  • #19
One of my favorite quick appetizers is so simple and yummy. Kind of nice with some holiday color too.

Take several small wedges of Brie cheese and put it in a shallow baking dish, sprinkle it with chopped pistachio nuts. Sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes on it. Bake at 450 degrees for 5-8 minutes until cheese begins to melt.
I cut some dark breads into wedges, fruit like apple wedges or a hard melon work well too.
 
  • #20
Vanadium 50 said:
  • 1 can SPAM
  • 1 loaf Velveeta
  • 1 bag Tater Tots
  • 1 bunch of decorative Toothpicks

Ouch...reading that makes my heart hurt...
 
  • #21
Oh yeah, just hand me a can of spray cheese with bacon bits and sit me in the corner.:!)
 
  • #22
Stay away from seafood for a potluck. As you might know from any buffet, cooked seafood goes from delicious to gross pretty quick. Here are a couple of really quick ideas that are super easy that I've used.

Pickle Wraps - SUPER easy
Get some of that cheap rectangular sliced ham. Dry it off with a paper towel and spread cream cheese on it. Roll a dill pickle spear in it. You would be surprised how delicious this is.

You can also substitute other deli meats and omit the pickle if needed. Salami/pepperoni with the cream cheese rolled up with a toothpick is also pretty good.

Spicy Meaty Cheese Dip
Melt one brick of Velveeta cheese with a little milk. In the meantime, brown 1lb of ground beef, with 1/2 can of Ro*tel original and pickled Jalepenos to taste. Add ground beef mixture to cheese with rest of Ro*tel and season with Cayenne, Onion/Garlic Powder, Cumin, Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb (don't ask, it just fits) and Chili Powder (LOTS!).

Serve with chips.
 
  • #23
turbo-1 said:
Split jalapenos, scrape out all veins and seeds if you work with wimps. Stuff with a mix of cream cheese and crumbled crispy bacon, top with shredded Monterey Jack and bake in a preheated oven until the shredded cheese browns. Easy and really tasty.

That sounds amazing! I might have to try making that for my wife!

I'm assuming you can use different cheeses as well?... Also, any time frame for how long it takes for the cheese to turn brown (assuming monterey jack is used), just in case I'm making it for a surprise meal or something similar?

minger said:
Pickle Wraps - SUPER easy
Get some of that cheap rectangular sliced ham. Dry it off with a paper towel and spread cream cheese on it. Roll a dill pickle spear in it. You would be surprised how delicious this is.

You can also substitute other deli meats and omit the pickle if needed. Salami/pepperoni with the cream cheese rolled up with a toothpick is also pretty good.

Sounds amazing! So is it kind of a general consensus that cream cheese tastes good on anything?
 
  • #24
Don't know what kind of kitchen you have at your work, but this is tasty (and easy).

  • Asparagus tips (~ 2")
  • Cream cheese
  • Thinly sliced ham

Steam the asparagus (but not too much :cool:), warm the ham (microwave would probably work, but I usually use a hot fry pan). Spread a little cream cheese on a ham slice and wrap around an asparagus. Yummy.
 
  • #25
Vanadium 50 said:
It's probably best to stick with the classics:

Spam Tater-Tot Velveeta De-lites

"Served hot or cold, this savory party favorite is sure to be the last snack on the tray!"

Serves 3 - 103

  • 1 can SPAM
  • 1 loaf Velveeta
  • 1 bag Tater Tots
  • 1 bunch of decorative Toothpicks

All I could do was stare at this and wonder if I was in shock or awe.
 
  • #26
I'm hungry.
 
  • #27
You can easily make those little pig in blanket weiner things in your 15 min time frame. Buy a can of crescent roll dough (i.e., Pillsbury), and some hot dogs. Open up the crescent rolls and instead of tearing them into triangles, leave them as rectangles. Wrap around a hot dog (I think 4 hot dogs works for one package of crescent rolls). Depending on how far you need to stretch the food, slice up into 1/2" or 1" pieces, and bake according to the crescent roll instructions (probably about 12 minutes). Serve with toothpicks and mustard for dipping them in.
 
  • #28
Moonbear said:
You can easily make those little pig in blanket weiner things in your 15 min time frame. Buy a can of crescent roll dough (i.e., Pillsbury), and some hot dogs. Open up the crescent rolls and instead of tearing them into triangles, leave them as rectangles. Wrap around a hot dog (I think 4 hot dogs works for one package of crescent rolls). Depending on how far you need to stretch the food, slice up into 1/2" or 1" pieces, and bake according to the crescent roll instructions (probably about 12 minutes). Serve with toothpicks and mustard for dipping them in.
First, you should make a slit in the hotdog lengthwise, and insert cheese, then wrap.

Also those little smokies are yummy appetizer size treats.
 
  • #29
Evo said:
First, you should make a slit in the hotdog lengthwise, and insert cheese, then wrap.

Cheese on a hot dog?
 
  • #30
Moonbear said:
Cheese on a hot dog?
Yes, that's a famous recipe.

Crescent Dogs

Source: Pillsbury

Ingredients

8 hot dogs
4 slices (3/4 oz each) American cheese, each cut into 6 strips
1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls

Directions


Heat oven to 375°F. Slit hot dogs to within 1/2 inch of ends; insert 3 strips of cheese into each slit.
Separate dough into triangles. Wrap dough triangle around each hot dog. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, cheese side up.
Bake at 375°F. for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
 

Attachments

  • pillsbury hotdog chees wrap.bmp
    161.8 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
  • #32
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas.

I've been thinking about making bruschetta (I think our main dish is going to be lasagna), but I have never done it before, so that could be trouble.
 
  • #33
Math Is Hard said:
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas.

I've been thinking about making bruschetta (I think our main dish is going to be lasagna), but I have never done it before, so that could be trouble.

Sounds yummy...use lots of garlic :smile:.
 
  • #34
Math Is Hard said:
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas.

I've been thinking about making bruschetta (I think our main dish is going to be lasagna), but I have never done it before, so that could be trouble.

MIH SEND ME SOME!


Bruschetta is so easy to make and SO delicious.
 
  • #35
Sorry! said:
MIH SEND ME SOME!


Bruschetta is so easy to make and SO delicious.

Can you teach me?
 

Similar threads

  • General Discussion
Replies
30
Views
6K
Replies
6
Views
5K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
9
Views
1K
Replies
56
Views
6K
  • General Discussion
Replies
2
Views
3K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
25
Views
7K
  • MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, LaTeX
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
13
Views
4K
  • MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, LaTeX
Replies
5
Views
3K
Back
Top