What Are Shock Cones and How Do They Relate to Mach Numbers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter motherlovebone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Confused Shock
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
motherlovebone
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
My teacher gave us a worksheet to prepare for the test tomorrow, and we never discussed anything about problems 10 to 14. I'm not asking for answers . . . just clarifications.

1.) What is a shock cone, anyway?
2.) What does Mach II, Mach III, etc. mean?
3.) Are there certain equations that I have to use when solving problems about shock cones?

I would really like to not post the questions on here, because I want to figure them out myself. Just answer my above questions for me as best as you can, and I'm hoping that will help me figure these out. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't have a textbook ...
When a sound source travels faster than the sound,
the forward motion of the sound can't keep up.
The sideways moving sound that was made "t" ago has traveled
y = v_sound t , while the source has moved forward x = v_source t .
There's a cone of sound wave-front that angles back from the source
to the y-coordinate above.
Can you draw this? Can you fingure what the tangent of the cone angle is?
(The cone angle is measured from the path that the source has taken)
 
Mach (X) means that the velocity of that particle is X times the speed of sound.

So mach II would be twice the speed of sound.