What are some areas of overlap between Computer Science and Physics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 5K views
wsoh24
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hey all,

I just found this site a week or so ago and I must say I love it. Tons of helpful information all around. I will be graduating in Spring 2008 with a BS in Computer Science. I have considered staying an extra year and taking some recommended upper level Physics classes to get into a Physics Grad program. However, part of my decision is the weighting of time and money. I'm a bit older than most college Seniors so I'm not sure that extra year is what I should do. My question really is, what are some areas of Physics/Computer Science that have a good deal of overlap? Also, is there an area of Physics that I could get into through the Computer Science side and get some physics along the way. Or is it better to get a good education in Physics and pickup the Computer Science along the way? I hope that made sense. If not I can clarify.

Thanks for any and all advice and I look forward to reading your replys.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There are certainly more physicsts workign in software than working in physics (myself included) similairly many physicists working in physics probably spend more of their time in front of a compiler/mathematica than doing anything else. The quality of their software engineering is rather variable!

I would say that there is a demand for CS that have some knowledge of physics. Any background in calculus is good for any sort of modelling, knowledge of mechanics/dynamics is a major part of games development.
 
Thanks for reply mgb. Currently I'm leaning towards getting a BS in CS and then take some key Physics Undergrad classes then go to Grad school in CS with a bit of a Physics background.
 
You should know that CS grad school isn't necessarily well respected, in fact CS-PhDs are pretty much looked down on in an industry that is largely self taught. However a CS degree with a PhD in a numerical modelling/Bioinformatics or even something like protein folding would be possible.

Good luck -
 
mgb_phys said:
You should know that CS grad school isn't necessarily well respected, in fact CS-PhDs are pretty much looked down on in an industry that is largely self taught. However a CS degree with a PhD in a numerical modelling/Bioinformatics or even something like protein folding would be possible.

Good luck -

Mostly self taught? I think you're confusing CS with programming/software develoment. There's much more to CS than code monkeying.
 
Oh - I agree totally, what I meant to say was that although grad school is pretty much a requirement to call yourself a physicist and to be taken seriously in industry, a CS-PhD doesn't open doors - in fact the opposite.

Most people do not work in academia and programming/software development is where you find jobs.
 
Thanks again. You have given me something new to weigh out in my decision. When you say a CS-PhD doesn't open door - in fact the opposite. Can you elaborate on what doors that may be. I mean, government work, research, private sector, etc.
 
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the fact that there IS a sub-division in physics known as computational physics?

This is an area of study, and yes, you can go to graduate school and specialize in it. You are essentially a physicist, but you study computational techniques that are specifically needed in physics. For anyone who loves both physics and computer science, I would think this is a marriage made in heaven.

Zz.
 
Awesome Zz. Computational Physics sounds promising. I will definitely look into that.
 
So a computer science major with a minor in physics, having taken the right courses, is fit to get into a computational physics program?
 
Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
a CS-PhD doesn't open doors - in fact the opposite.

In my experience, this is completely untrue.

People's experiences vary, of course, so perhaps mgb_phys' CS Ph.D. has closed doors for him.