What are some different interactions where photons are released?

In summary, photons can be released by all charged particles in electromagnetic interactions, except for neutrinos, gluons, the Higgs boson, the Z boson, and the photon itself. In nuclear processes, photons are usually in the form of gamma rays. The repulsion between two protons is mediated by the exchange of virtual photons, which can also be described as the electromagnetic field of the protons.
PiChiNietzsch
Pretty simple; what are some different ways that photons are released?
Specifically, I'm looking for a short list of different particles that will release a photon in any given interaction.

Tried googling, but its amazing how difficult it is to find an answer to such a simple question -- basically, someone is telling me that photons are released exclusively by electrons, but I'm 99% sure that isn't true and just want an external source other than my own mouth to be able to correct them (the first thing that pops into my head is a proton and antiproton annihilating each other into pure energy - two high frequency photons).

Who knows, I might be wrong though, and could just be entirely deluded with what I thought I knew.. But I think since 'how an electron produces a photon' is one of the first examples a textbook/teacher gives when teaching electromagnetism and the photoelectric effect, so it'd be easy to make the mistake of thinking its the only way a photon is released especially if no more examples are given.

Also, I've got another question if anyone can give me a quick solid answer:
When two protons (just two protons, aka two positive +1 hydrogen ions) get in close proximity to each other and repel each other since they both have a positive charge, is this repulsion mediated by a photon or just the electromagnetic field of the protons themselves?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Many nuclear reactions, such as radioactive decay, produce photons.

Specifically, I'm looking for a short list of different particles that will release a photon in any given interaction.
All charged particles (=all elementary particles except neutrinos, gluons, the Higgs boson, the Z boson and the photon), in electromagnetic interactions.
(the first thing that pops into my head is a proton and antiproton annihilating each other into pure energy - two high frequency photons)
While this might be possible, it has to be extremely unlikely. The usual process is the emission of several pions.
But I think since 'how an electron produces a photon' is one of the first examples a textbook/teacher gives when teaching electromagnetism and the photoelectric effect
Most everyday effects involving light are related to electrons. Nuclear processes are very high-energetic, and those photons are usually gamma rays (with a few exceptions).

When two protons (just two protons, aka two positive +1 hydrogen ions) get in close proximity to each other and repel each other since they both have a positive charge, is this repulsion mediated by a photon or just the electromagnetic field of the protons themselves?
You can describe it with the exchange of virtual photons, which is just another way to say "it is the field".

1. What is the process of photon release?

The process of photon release, also known as emission, occurs when an atom or molecule in an excited state returns to its ground state, releasing a photon of electromagnetic radiation in the process.

2. What are some examples of interactions that result in photon release?

Some common examples of interactions that result in photon release include fluorescence, phosphorescence, bioluminescence, and chemiluminescence. These interactions involve the absorption of energy by a substance, followed by the release of that energy in the form of photons.

3. How are photons released during chemical reactions?

During chemical reactions, photons can be released as a result of electron transitions between energy levels within atoms or molecules. These transitions can be triggered by changes in molecular structure, temperature, or the presence of catalysts.

4. Are all photons released in the same way?

No, photons can be released in a variety of ways. The specific mechanism of photon release depends on the type of interaction and the energy levels involved. For example, in fluorescence, photons are released when excited electrons return to their ground state, while in bioluminescence, photons are emitted as a result of chemical reactions within living organisms.

5. Can photons be released in a vacuum?

Yes, photons can be released in a vacuum. In fact, the vacuum of space is filled with photons from various sources, including stars, galaxies, and cosmic background radiation. Photons can also be released in a vacuum during interactions between particles, such as in particle accelerators.