1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are some examples of when waves are useful and harmful?

1. May 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What are some examples of when waves are useful and harmful?

3. The attempt at a solution

The examples for helpful I have so far are sound waves that allow us to communicate with one another and radio waves that enables us to use WiFi and cellphones. However I am not too sure about radio waves because they are electromagnetic waves and in the textbook it states that all vibrations require a medium to transfer waves, but electromagnetic waves do not require a medium so I am unsure about radiowaves. I also added that waves are an efficient form of transferring energy : sound, radiation, and thermal.

The examples for harmful I have so far are seismic waves that cause earthquakes and tsunamis and sound waves that can be a nuisance at times.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So what? The question was about waves, not "vibrations".

4. May 18, 2013 #3
    Think again about seismic waves and earthquakes: what is really the cause and the effect here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted