What are some examples of when waves are useful and harmful?

  • Thread starter Thread starter needingtoknow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Waves
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
needingtoknow
Messages
160
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What are some examples of when waves are useful and harmful?

The Attempt at a Solution



The examples for helpful I have so far are sound waves that allow us to communicate with one another and radio waves that enables us to use WiFi and cellphones. However I am not too sure about radio waves because they are electromagnetic waves and in the textbook it states that all vibrations require a medium to transfer waves, but electromagnetic waves do not require a medium so I am unsure about radiowaves. I also added that waves are an efficient form of transferring energy : sound, radiation, and thermal.

The examples for harmful I have so far are seismic waves that cause earthquakes and tsunamis and sound waves that can be a nuisance at times.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
needingtoknow said:

Homework Statement



What are some examples of when waves are useful and harmful?

The Attempt at a Solution



The examples for helpful I have so far are sound waves that allow us to communicate with one another and radio waves that enables us to use WiFi and cellphones. However I am not too sure about radio waves because they are electromagnetic waves and in the textbook it states that all vibrations require a medium to transfer waves, but electromagnetic waves do not require a medium so I am unsure about radiowaves.
So what? The question was about waves, not "vibrations".

I also added that waves are an efficient form of transferring energy : sound, radiation, and thermal.

The examples for harmful I have so far are seismic waves that cause earthquakes and tsunamis and sound waves that can be a nuisance at times.
 
Think again about seismic waves and earthquakes: what is really the cause and the effect here?