• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Found some interesting grad programs

As some of you may know, I'll graduate next Spring with a B.S. Mathematics and Physics minor. From my perspective, I wanted to gain a broad and fundamental technical education in undergrad. I view grad school as career training. Applied math is an option at my university. It would be the easiest route logistically. I kind of want something not as technical/hard for graduate school. I know that's backwards. However, I found two interesting engineering programs at University of Maryland: Master of Engineering and Public Policy and Master of Sustainable Energy Engineering. The MSEE is completely online. The MEPP is not. But, the tuition rate is the same for both: ~$880/hour. That's a lot of money. The MSEE would be cheaper, but I like the MEPP. I think I would enjoy consulting, but I could do that with either of the degrees.

What do you guys think of the utility of these degrees, particularly the MEPP? Move to Maryland and do the MEPP or stay here and do the MSEE online? I like to look at all my options.

http://mepp.umd.edu/students/degree-req.html [Broken]

http://www.enpm.umd.edu/grad/sustainable-energy/requirements.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

fss

That's nice. Did you have a question?

As some of you may know, I'll graduate next Spring with a B.S. Mathematics and Physics minor. From my perspective, I wanted to gain a broad and fundamental technical education in undergrad. I view grad school as career training. Applied math is an option at my university. It would be the easiest route logistically. I kind of want something not as technical/hard for graduate school. I know that's backwards. However, I found two interesting engineering programs at University of Maryland: Master of Engineering and Public Policy and Master of Sustainable Energy Engineering. The MSEE is completely online. The MEPP is not. But, the tuition rate is the same for both: ~$880/hour. That's a lot of money. The MSEE would be cheaper, but I like the MEPP. I think I would enjoy consulting, but I could do that with either of the degrees.

http://mepp.umd.edu/students/degree-req.html [Broken]

http://www.enpm.umd.edu/grad/sustainable-energy/requirements.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's nice. Did you have a question?
Oops. Sorry. I'll update it.

I would not encourage going for an online master degree.
Graduate education is not only about the lectures but rather, the whole experience of being at the university. Being at the university might also allow you to work in one of the labs as a part-timer or so.
Some courses might require team work or collaboration, I am not sure how reliable this is when it comes to an online course.
Plus whenever you need a recommendation letter for phd/industry then if the prof had met/saw you in person a few times would be a 1000 times better than if he/she didn't during the lectures.

Graduate education is not only about the lectures but rather, the whole experience of being at the university. Being at the university might also allow you to work in one of the labs as a part-timer or so.
Some courses might require team work or collaboration, I am not sure how reliable this is when it comes to an online course.
Plus whenever you need a recommendation letter for phd/industry then if the prof had met/saw you in person a few times would be a 1000 times better than if he/she didn't during the lectures.
Yeah, I don't really want to do an online degree.

Of course, it will not result as same as regular study. The experiences that you earns from the university exactly contributes much values that online degree can't.

Anyone know of any similar programs to the MEPP? Maybe a math/science/physics and public policy master program?

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving