What Are Some Opportunities for Physics Majors in Defence Research in Canada?

  • Thread starter Thread starter doublemint
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Canada Research
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
doublemint
Messages
138
Reaction score
0
Hello!
Summer is approaching and I am trying to secure a research position. I'm looking through the Industrial URSP eligible companies at NSERC that do defence research and I'm wondering if any has had any experience in doing research at a private defence research company or even the Defence Research Assistant Program that the Canadian government offers.
FYI I am a physics major.
Thank You for your Response!
DoubleMint
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When I was applying years and years ago (I was an engineering student, for what it's worth) I seem to recall that the industrial NSERC offered better odds (and pay) than the academic NSERC. However, this was before the recession, the boom, and the subsequent recession.

You're well past the academic application deadline (end of January), but I'm not sure of when the industrial NSERCs get adjudicated (and the website isn't particularly forthcoming)--it'd be worth a phone call or e-mail to make sure you can still apply for an industrial NSERC, especially considering that it's a month and a half away.

My (right or wrong) view of the defense industry in Canada is that it's mostly smaller outfits doing value-added and smaller-scale projects (e.g. one company that somehow ended up with a contract to build/maintain a robot that towed targets around--this description is intentionally vague). That may sound daunting, but it's probably up to you to find the contractors and for you (and them) to make the case for USRA-industry (defense).

For what it's worth, a guy I knew got his whole B.Sc. in physics paid for, courtesy of DND. Whether that's because they thought he had something to contribute scientifically, or whether it's because it was a 4-year-degree and thus worthy of the tax-payer's investment and officer status is another matter.
 
Last edited:
thanks for the reply MATLABdude. The deadline for the industrial USRA is generally 4 weeks before the start date of employment so I just need to find a contractor and that is the hard part!
 
doublemint said:
thanks for the reply MATLABdude. The deadline for the industrial USRA is generally 4 weeks before the start date of employment so I just need to find a contractor and that is the hard part!

You got that right. Remember, the following work in your favour:
1) The government foots a portion (possibly a very good portion, depending on how much and whether or not the employer pays you).
2) There is a defined award duration, at which time you go back to school.

Aside from standing in line at the Tim Horton's with some of Canada's finest, I have no experience with DND. I doubt you can phone up a defense facility (e.g. Cold Lake, Suffield, etc.) and ask the commanding officer if they have any leads for you of companies that are interested in taking on USRA students, but you never know...