What Are Some Notable Baby Books Across Different Fields?

  • Topic: Other 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books Fields
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 4K views
Demystifier said:
Why? In what sense?
It was meant as a joke. If you know enough mathematicians you know what I mean, but maybe it's even some deeper truth in it, because you have to be open to just play around with ideas and puzzles. It's precisely what's killed when thinking math were like it is presented by Bourbaki. Bourbaki presents the final state of a mathematical subject but doesn't tell you anything about how you get there. In this sense it's like a very good encyclopedia to look up mathematical facts but a lousy textbook, because it's not telling you how in fact to do math.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd, sysprog, Mr.Husky and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
It was meant as a joke. If you know enough mathematicians you know what I mean, but maybe it's even some deeper truth in it, because you have to be open to just play around with ideas and puzzles. It's precisely what's killed when thinking math were like it is presented by Bourbaki. Bourbaki presents the final state of a mathematical subject but doesn't tell you anything about how you get there. In this sense it's like a very good encyclopedia to look up mathematical facts but a lousy textbook, because it's not telling you how in fact to do math.
Nicolas Bourbaki is a pseudonym that is referential to a group of math guys, including Henri Cartan and André Weil ##-## it's math written by commitee, wherefore it's not as apt to show the individual journey by which the author arrived at a conclusion ##-## please imagine what might have happened to Newton's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_Fluxionshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_Fluxions if he had closely collaborated with Leibniz on single variable calculus . . .
 
Sure. I don't critizize the great work by the Bourbaki group but I don't recommend to take these books (and similar textbooks written in this style) as textbooks.

I guess Newton and Leibniz wouldn't have been able to write a coauthored book at all. I'd rather guess one would have rather murdered the other. I'm not sure, whether the two arch enemies ever met in person ;-)).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Demystifier and sysprog