Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What are some ways to 'mold'/change the shape of a flame?

1. May 9, 2016 #1
    What are some ways I can go about change the shape of a bunsen burner flame, specifically in a linear shape of around 4cm

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gas burners in general can be made to produce many different flame shapes .

What do you mean by a linear shape of around 4 cm ? Post a sketch .

4. May 9, 2016 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know for sure about bunsen burners but the propane torch that I use in my wood shop has the same kind of flame outlet and it has a variety of flanges that change the shape of the flame. Of course for it the gas shoots out under pressure so it easy to manipulate. As I recall bunsen burners from chem class they are a much more soft flame so that might not work.

5. May 9, 2016 #4
    What I mean is that I would like the bunsen burner's regular flame to be transformed into a rectangle with a length of 4cm and a width <<<4cm

6. May 9, 2016 #5
    Do you mean like a slot burner? You want to create a thin rectangular flame sheet?

7. May 9, 2016 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. May 9, 2016 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want a really wide but narrow flame then use a proper slot burner as mentioned by @bigfooted or use several needle burners side by side .

One advantage of a proper slot burner is that the burner tube can be set horizontal so that you can avoid problems of excessive height .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted