What are some ways to 'mold'/change the shape of a flame?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter zogeta
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Shape
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
zogeta
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
What are some ways I can go about change the shape of a bunsen burner flame, specifically in a linear shape of around 4cm
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Gas burners in general can be made to produce many different flame shapes .

What do you mean by a linear shape of around 4 cm ? Post a sketch .
 
I don't know for sure about bunsen burners but the propane torch that I use in my wood shop has the same kind of flame outlet and it has a variety of flanges that change the shape of the flame. Of course for it the gas shoots out under pressure so it easy to manipulate. As I recall bunsen burners from chem class they are a much more soft flame so that might not work.
 
Nidum said:
Gas burners in general can be made to produce many different flame shapes .

What do you mean by a linear shape of around 4 cm ? Post a sketch .
What I mean is that I would like the bunsen burner's regular flame to be transformed into a rectangle with a length of 4cm and a width <<<4cm
 
Do you mean like a slot burner? You want to create a thin rectangular flame sheet?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a really wide but narrow flame then use a proper slot burner as mentioned by @bigfooted or use several needle burners side by side .

One advantage of a proper slot burner is that the burner tube can be set horizontal so that you can avoid problems of excessive height .