What Are Suitable Engineering Research Projects to Bridge into Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceptance into an access program for higher equations engineering, which also allows for the opportunity to choose a topic for a year-long research project. The individual expresses their interest in pursuing a physics degree and asks for advice on a project topic that could potentially help them get into the program. The conversation also mentions the need to consider practical issues and available resources when brainstorming project ideas.
BL4CKB0X97
I have just found out that i have been acceptable into an access to higher equations engineering couple. During the interview a year long Research Project was mentioned. The details i have are that it is a 3000 word essay(excluding references and data) which seems kind of small. You get to choose the topic.I asked for more infor and was told "you'll find out soon".

I chose engineering because it is the closest analogue to a Physics (my dream degree). I have done some Research and know that you can get into a physics degree with this course(i was told i would need a foundational year but the interviewer said she had people start immediatly into mainstream).

Question: Any ideas/ advice for an engineering Research Project that would also help me get into Physics. I was thinking of a physics related topic that lies in the grey are between the two. I was thinking maybe some sort of space propulsion system, which is an are of interest of mine.

Thanks.

Ps: the letter i received said it was an interview. Turned out to be a basic overview of the course and being handed an exam. No preparation on my part, should of see it coming really. Passed though.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would consider the educational level, the available resources, the specialties of the supervising faculty, and the kinds of projects students in the program have done in the past. Students seldom realize when brainstorming project topics that they need to pick a project topic from what is attainable with the time and resource constraints rather than dreaming up any topic on Earth without regard for practical issues.

This article may be helpful:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/niches-publishable-undergraduate-research/

I often help students brainstorming these ideas. Send me a PM and we'll begin a private correspondence, because I need to know more details than can likely be shared in the public forum.

Likes BL4CKB0X97 and BvU
BL4CKB0X97 said:
I have just found out that i have been acceptable into an access to higher equations engineering couple. During the interview a year long Research Project was mentioned. The details i have are that it is a 3000 word essay(excluding references and data) which seems kind of small. You get to choose the topic.I asked for more infor and was told "you'll find out soon".

I chose engineering because it is the closest analogue to a Physics (my dream degree).
I'm not understanding; are you a college or high school student? If college, what level and what major?

A 3000 word essay is a month-long research project, not a year-long project...unless the essay is just to summarize the actual project (like a design project).

russ_watters said:
I'm not understanding; are you a college or high school student? If college, what level and what major?

A 3000 word essay is a month-long research project, not a year-long project...unless the essay is just to summarize the actual project (like a design project).
English college, not US. I need to go college to get the qualifications that I need to get into university. Once i get this,( the equivalent to three A Levels, not sure what its called across the pond), i will then be eligable for Engineering or some Physics degrees.

Perhaps it is.I asked for further details and was told ' you'll find out'. I do know what ever it is I choose the subject.

Dr. Courtney said:
I would consider the educational level, the available resources, the specialties of the supervising faculty, and the kinds of projects students in the program have done in the past. Students seldom realize when brainstorming project topics that they need to pick a project topic from what is attainable with the time and resource constraints rather than dreaming up any topic on Earth without regard for practical issues.

This article may be helpful:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/niches-publishable-undergraduate-research/

I often help students brainstorming these ideas. Send me a PM and we'll begin a private correspondence, because I need to know more details than can likely be shared in the public forum.
I will pm you when I have more details myself.

Related to What Are Suitable Engineering Research Projects to Bridge into Physics?

What is an "Engineering Research Project"?

An engineering research project is a scientific study or investigation that is focused on solving a specific problem or advancing knowledge in the field of engineering. It involves conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions to develop new technologies or improve existing ones.

What are the steps involved in an Engineering Research Project?

The steps involved in an engineering research project typically include identifying a problem or research question, conducting a literature review, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and communicating the results through a written report or presentation.

How long does an Engineering Research Project typically take?

The duration of an engineering research project can vary depending on the scope and complexity of the project. It can range from a few weeks for a small project to several years for a larger, more in-depth investigation.

What are the important skills needed for an Engineering Research Project?

Some important skills for an engineering research project include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. It is also important to have a strong understanding of engineering principles and techniques, as well as knowledge of relevant software and tools.

What are the potential benefits of an Engineering Research Project?

An engineering research project can lead to the development of new technologies, advancements in existing technologies, and solutions to real-world problems. It can also contribute to the overall knowledge and understanding of the engineering field and lead to future innovations and improvements.