What are the best books for: 1.Mass 2.Energy and 3.Quantum Mechanics?

  • Topic: Quantum 
  • Thread starter Thread starter SSG-E
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books Mechanics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
SSG-E
Messages
60
Reaction score
12
What are the best theoretical books I can study for understanding the basic as well as advanced; mass, energy and quantum mechanics.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Viral kalakar
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean a whole separate book on MASS? Because mass and energy is covered in almost every classical mechanics book.

Please let us know your aim, what you want to achieve and what you already know.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71
Adesh said:
You mean a whole separate book on MASS? Because mass and energy is covered in almost every classical mechanics book.

Please let us know your aim, what you want to achieve and what you already know.
There is a book '' Mass: The Quest to Understand Matter from Greek Atoms to Quantum Fields by Jim Baggot'' I've read its preview it is a whole separate book on mass. So I asked to know if it is the best.
 
SSG-E said:
There is a book '' Mass: The Quest to Understand Matter from Greek Atoms to Quantum Fields by Jim Baggot'' I've read its preview it is a whole separate book on mass. So I asked to know if it is the best.
Don't take me wrong, but that's not a physics textbook. It's kind of person's own thought about how we went from Greek philosophy to today's QM. It's more like a discourse, and you see Mr. Jim Baggot is a science writer not a physicist. We have so many people who explain Physics by coming on TV shows, and I do appreciate that because it let's the general public to know about the miracles of Physics (a thing developed by human mind) and miraculous **NATURE**. But it is wrong if you want to do some serious study from those TV interviews, or from books which have all sentences starting with "What if..." , "What if Einstein was wrong?", "What if there is no time?" and et cetra.
 
Adesh said:
You mean a whole separate book on MASS? Because mass and energy is covered in almost every classical mechanics book.

Please let us know your aim, what you want to achieve and what you already know.
There is a book '' Mass: The Quest to Understand Matter from Greek Atoms to Quantum Fields by Jim Baggot'' I've read its preview it is a whole separate book on mass
Adesh said:
Don't take me wrong, but that's not a physics textbook. It's kind of person's own thought about how we went from Greek philosophy to today's QM. It's more like a discourse, and you see Mr. Jim Baggot is a science writer not a physicist. We have so many people who explain Physics by coming on TV shows, and I do appreciate that because it let's the general public to know about the miracles of Physics (a thing developed by human mind) and miraculous **NATURE**. But it is wrong if you want to do some serious study from those TV interviews, or from books which have all sentences starting with "What if..." , "What if Einstein was wrong?", "What if there is no time?" and et cetra.
That is why I am asking. He maybe wrong. What I need is a book in which mass and energy are interpreted correctly.
 
Then read a physics book and (though I'm a theorists) I strongly recommend to read an introductory experimental-physics book first! The meaning of physical quantities like mass and energy and any other quantity are not defined by theory but by observation and quantitative observations (aka measurements) rather than theory.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude