1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum What are the best books that cover quantum mechanics

1. May 8, 2015 #1
    Hi what are the recommended quantum mechanics books for a high school leaver. Also what are the math skills I need to know(book suggestions would help). Please I need to understand QM. I'm just interested!!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You had just graduated from highschool?
    Usually undergrad QM lecturer uses Griffith's Quantum Mechanics, which I did use in my undergrad time. The way he conveys his idea is not too formal making it suitable for beginner. The early problem QM beginners would most likely encounter is solving Schrödinger equation, a partial differential equation, for simple cases. Therefore a knowledge of solving basic partial differential equation is very recommended. Knowledge of some special functions will also be very helpful. At a certain point, you will also be 'forced' to study linear algebra when you begin to touch the ket notation.

4. May 19, 2015 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure about Griffith. I've no looked into it very closely, but from many discussions in these forums involving this book, I've the impression, it's sometimes confusing to students. I guess, it's not suited for someone just leaving high-school, as are most of university-level textbooks. Real quantum theory you start in the 4th semester (the earliest, at least in Germany, after you have a good foundation from analytical mechanics and classical E&M).

What I like pretty much and what might be a good start is

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mech...id=1432033687&sr=8-1&keywords=Suskind+quantum

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted