What Are the Best Mathematics Books by Women Authors?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 7K views
Snicker
Messages
47
Reaction score
1
I have a substantial mathematics library. Perusing my collection, however, I noticed that none of the book authors were women. I find the lack of prominent female authors in mathematics to be disturbing, both in my libabrary and in the literature in general. So can any of you recommend me worthwhile books written by women?

BTW, by "book", I don't mean standard lower-division textbooks.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: slider142
Physics news on Phys.org
Why does it matter what the gender of the author is...?
 
titansowner27 said:
Why does it matter what the gender of the author is...?

How about role models? Not necessarily the OP's motivation, but it's a reason.
 
I read an older edition of this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471198269/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (Mary L. Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences") a long time ago. I found it a very good introductory text, written in a simple, direct way.

(EDIT: I had no idea she had passed away in 2010. RIP Mary - I owe a lot to you, practically my entire grounding in the Calculus of Variations and Lagrangian/Hamiltonian Mechanics).
 
The symmetries in mechanics text by Singer is pretty good. We used it as a supplementary text in our symmetries in mechanics course (the material in the course was more advanced mathematically than what is presented in Singer's text but she provides great physical insight considering its an undergrad book).
 
Frances Kirwan:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=frances+kirwan&tag=pfamazon01-20Claire Voisin:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=claire+voisin&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Aclaire+voisin&tag=pfamazon01-20

Leila Schneps:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...rh=n:283155,k:leila+schneps&tag=pfamazon01-20

Helene Esnault:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...h=n:283155,k:helene+esnault&tag=pfamazon01-20

etc etc...
 
Last edited by a moderator: