What is the best mathematics book for physicists?

In summary, for physicists looking for a good mathematics book, some popular options are the Arfken and Weber book and the Boas book. It is recommended to read both as they each have different strengths. Other options include the Nearing book and Carroll's lecture notes on general relativity. However, it is important to have a solid foundation in algebra, geometry, calculus, and basic physics before delving into more advanced topics such as differential geometry and Lie algebras. Suggested resources for learning these foundations are the Thomas and Finney calculus book and Hefferon's linear algebra book. For differential equations, there are many options available. It is recommended to do research and find a book that suits your learning style and needs.
AhmedHesham
what is the best mathematics book for physicists ?or in what way should i study math if i need it for physics? . thanks!

Likes Kashmir
Physics news on Phys.org
thank you very much . is it better to read both of them or one is enough ?

Hard to say, sometimes you need to look in several books until you find what you're looking for.

I think Arfken and Weber is good for practicing physicists whereas Boas is a good undergrad book. I've heard a lot of good reviews about the Boas book. I have a copy of Arfken and Weber and like the style of presentation.

There's also the Nearing book which is available online which you could start with:

http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

Absolutely avoid Cahill. It's nearly worthless unless you already know the concepts and just need a refresher.

Likes Joker93
ok . thank you so much

Likes Bong_Nebula
Sean Carroll's lecture notes on general relativity contain a superb introduction to the mathematics of GR (differential geometry on Riemann manifolds). These also also published in modified form in his book, Spacetime and Geometry.

Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds is a gem. Bishop's Tensor Analysis on Manifolds is a great introduction to the subject, and published by Dover, is very cheap (less than $10 on amazon).

Georgi's Lie Algebras in Particle Physics is enjoyable and fast-paced, but probably skips around too much to be used as an adequate first exposure.

Shutz's Geomertical Methods of mathematical physics and a first course in general relativity.

Despite it's incredibly pompous title, Penrose's The road to reality: A completer guide to the laws of the Universe provides an enjoyable high-level view of a vast expanse of mathematical physics.

As mentioned by Cedric, I am a huge fan of Sussman and Wisdom's Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics and the associated Functional Differential Geometry memo. The citations in those publications will also point to towards a lot of good material and there's more goodies if you dig around in the source code.

Likes AhmedHesham
AhmedHesham,

How much math do you already know? How much physics?

jason

jasonRF said:
AhmedHesham,

How much math do you already know? How much physics?

jason

I know some algebra , some geometry and some calculus only . in physics I know elementary things about classical mechanics and electromagnitism

carollbert said:
Sean Carroll's lecture notes on general relativity contain a superb introduction to the mathematics of GR (differential geometry on Riemann manifolds). These also also published in modified form in his book, Spacetime and Geometry.

Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds is a gem. Bishop's Tensor Analysis on Manifolds is a great introduction to the subject, and published by Dover, is very cheap (less than $10 on amazon).

Georgi's Lie Algebras in Particle Physics is enjoyable and fast-paced, but probably skips around too much to be used as an adequate first exposure.

Shutz's Geomertical Methods of mathematical physics and a first course in general relativity.

Despite it's incredibly pompous title, Penrose's The road to reality: A completer guide to the laws of the Universe provides an enjoyable high-level view of a vast expanse of mathematical physics.

As mentioned by Cedric, I am a huge fan of Sussman and Wisdom's Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics and the associated Functional Differential Geometry memo. The citations in those publications will also point to towards a lot of good material and there's more goodies if you dig around in the source code.
Thanks
carollbert

AhmedHesham said:
I know some algebra , some geometry and some calculus only . in physics I know elementary things about classical mechanics and electromagnitism
In that case, you probably should learn linear algebra, multivariable calculus and basic differential equations before reading even the most basic of the books listed by others here (Nearing: http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/; and Boas).

Books on Lie algebras, general relativity, differential geometry, etc. are way beyond your level at this point. (They are probably beyond my level, too!)

jason

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many books on calculus that fit the bill for your next step (multivariable calculus, elementary vector calculus). I learned from Thomas and Finney 7th edition (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201163209/?tag=pfamazon01-20) but many folks here think that the 3rd edition is superior to all the rest (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMPZBGA/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

For linear algebra, a good free book is by Hefferon, free at:
http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/
but you can also buy a paperpack if you like hardcopy better: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0989897567/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Many other books exist - search physicsforums for linear algebra books and you will find many results

There are many differential equations books. I do not know what is best.

jason

Likes AhmedHesham
thanks very much

Related to What is the best mathematics book for physicists?

1. What are the essential topics that should be covered in a mathematics book for physicists?

A good mathematics book for physicists should cover topics such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, complex analysis, and vector calculus. These are the most commonly used mathematical concepts in physics.

2. Is there a specific level of mathematics proficiency required for a mathematics book to be considered the best for physicists?

Yes, a strong foundation in basic mathematics, including algebra, trigonometry, and geometry, is necessary to understand the advanced concepts covered in a mathematics book for physicists.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for mathematics for physicists?

There are many excellent textbooks available for mathematics for physicists, including "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K. F. Riley, M. P. Hobson, and S. J. Bence, and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Philip Boas.

4. Are there any online resources for learning mathematics for physicists?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning mathematics for physicists, including websites, video lectures, and online courses. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. Can a mathematics book for physicists also cover theoretical physics concepts?

Yes, some mathematics books for physicists may also cover theoretical physics concepts, but it is not necessary. It is recommended to choose a book that focuses primarily on mathematical concepts and supplement it with a separate book on theoretical physics if needed.