What Are the Components of Net Force for a Mass Swinging on a Rope?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
cfagan6
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


2 kg mass swings on the end of a rope as shown in the figure below. At the highest point in the trajectory the string makes a 56 degree angle with respect to the horizontal and the tension on the string is 16.25 N.

= (No Response) N

Homework Equations


So I know I need to the direction of Ft and Fg.
Ft^hat=<cos(56),sin(56),0>
Fgrav^hat=<cos(56),sin(56),0>
Ft=16.25
Fgrav=-19.6

The Attempt at a Solution


So I'm not quite sure what to do now. The way I tried doing it was adding the two vectors times their magnitudes and finding the magnitude of that vector but I get the wrong answer. I feel that the problem is in directions of my forces but I don't understand why.
 
Attachments
  • pendulum10.png
    pendulum10.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 606
Physics news on Phys.org