1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the net force acting on the object

1. Sep 23, 2016 #1
    diagrams-png.59601.png [PLAIN]http://[PLAIN] [Broken] [Broken] [PLAIN]http://[PLAIN] [Broken] [Broken]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the net force acting on each object indicated in the following diagrams.
    (diagrams attached) I am working on "B"

2. Relevant equations

Sine Law: sin a/a = sin b/b = sin c/ c
    Cosine Law: c^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2ab*cos(c)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    C2 = (2W)2 + (17N)2 – 2(2)(17)Cos 45o

= 4 + 289 – 48.08326112

= 16 N
    SinB/ 17 N = Sin 45 / 16 W

= 49o
    ∴ Net Force is 16 N (W49o N)
    I am really struggling with this component of physics.I understand I got the wrong answer for the sine law because I rounded off too early in my cosine law calculations. However I am really struggling to understand how I got the wrong answer for the direction of my resultant vector. It is supposed to be 16 N [W 40 N].

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

I can't see any attachment.

4. Sep 23, 2016 #3
    Sorry. I attached the diagrams now

5. Sep 23, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

It seems that if you componentized the vectors then added the components and then converted the resultant vector back to angle and magnitude.

6. Sep 23, 2016 #5
    Yes. That's the method they want us to use.

7. Sep 23, 2016 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

So show us the i, j components of the vectors then show the components of the resultant one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted