What Are the Conditions for Prob(wx + y < c) ≈ Prob(wx < c) as w → ∞?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jillna
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Given two random variables x and y, and a constant c

What conditions are needed to make:

[tex]Prob( w x + y < c ) \approx Prob( w x < c ), \text{ for } w \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

Can anyone help? I think [tex]E(x) < \infty[/tex] and [tex]E(y) < \infty[/tex] might do. Is this right?

tks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need the expected value of y an order of magnitude less than E(x).
 
In the limit as [tex]w \rightarrow \infty[/tex] I believe they are always equal. I will use the probability density functions (f(x),f(y), and f(x,y)) to give my reasoning.

[tex]P(wx < c) = P(x < c/w) = P(x < 0)[/tex] in the limit of [tex]w \rightarrow \infty[/tex]
[tex]= \int_{-\infty}^{0}f(x)dx = \int_{-\infty}^{0}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x,y)dydx[/tex]

To calculate the probability you have to add up the region of the density for which wx+y < c, which can be achieved by integrating for each x from y=-infinity to the line y=-wx+c:

[tex]P(wx +y < c) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{-wx+c}f(x,y)dydx[/tex]

In the limit this becomes the y-axis, so we actually have in this case:
[tex]= \int_{-\infty}^{0}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x,y)dydx = \int_{-\infty}^{0}f(x)dx[/tex]

and so they are equivalent.