What are the deceleration and average braking force of a train?

  • Thread starter Thread starter IB1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Train
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
IB1
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
A train of mass [tex]m=1.5 \cdot 10^5 kg[/tex] is traveling at [tex]40m/s[/tex] when the brakes are applied and it decelerates steadily. The train travels a distance of [tex]250m[/tex] before coming to a halt.

a) Calculate the deceleration of the train.
b) Find the average braking force.





I have tried to solve it using formulas such as:
[tex]v^2 =v_{0} ^2 +2as[/tex] and so the others of that family, but they do not work because I need to know three variables to find the others...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
IB1 said:
A train of mass [tex]m=1.5 \cdot 10^5 kg[/tex] is traveling at [tex]40m/s[/tex] when the brakes are applied and it decelerates steadily. The train travels a distance of [tex]250m[/tex] before coming to a halt.

a) Calculate the deceleration of the train.
b) Find the average braking force.





I have tried to solve it using formulas such as:
[tex]v^2 =v_{0} ^2 +2as[/tex] and so the others of that family, but they do not work because I need to know three variables to find the others...

If you read the question carefully, you find you do have 3 variables for that equation. for [tex]v_{f}^{2} = v_{0}^{2} + 2as[/tex] you can rearrange( I won't patronise you by asking you to do it) to find [tex]a[/tex]: [tex]a = \frac{v_{f}^{2} - v_{0}^{2}}{2s}[/tex]
 
It is important to remember in problems where something is slowing to a halt, that this implies that your final velocity is 0. this is how you know 3 variables. The same principle applies for something speeding up from rest in which case the initial velocity is 0.