Aquarium on a train during braking

In summary, the passenger has an aquarium filled with water. The aquarium's size is 40cm x 25cm x 25cm and is filled with water up to the height of 20cm (5 cm remaining). The maximal deceleration of the train is the entire volume of water will remain in the aquarium.
ChessEnthusiast

Homework Statement

On a train, there is a passenger who has an aquarium, filled with water.
The aquarium's size: 40cm x 25cm x 25cm, and is filled with water up to the height of 20cm (5 cm remaining)

What is the maximal deceleration of the train, such as the entire volume of water will remain in the aquarium?
Assume, that the aquarium is positioned parallel to the direction the train moves.2. The attempt at a solution
(look at the attached image)
I made a sketch and calculated the net force acting on a particle of water.
I also attempted to calculate the mass of water in aquarium (Assumption: 1 liter of water weighs 1 kg)
m = 0.40 * 0.25 * 0.20 = 0.02 kg

I tried using definition of Work:
[tex]Fx\cos{\theta} = m_{2}gh[/tex]
But I got a crazy answer.

Any suggestions would be strongly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• aquarium.PNG
    aquarium.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
ChessEnthusiast said:
But I got a crazy answer.
Don't say such things. Show your working.
ChessEnthusiast said:
calculated the net force acting on a particle of water
Nice idea, but you only look at the magnitude. Why ? What does that magnitude tell you about the surface being horizontal when the train stands still ?
ChessEnthusiast said:
I tried using definition of Work
Again: why ? Would it tell you the aquarium does not overflow when the train stands still ?
Anyway: This has little to do with work; can you understand why ?
ChessEnthusiast said:
I also attempted to calculate the mass of water in aquarium
Again ... why ? Would it be different if it were oil, or mercury ?

Please note I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to get you away from all kinds of stray paths.

So now the assistance you asked for (the suggestion :smile: )
Ask yourself: what would the angle be if the train braked with an acceleration g ?

Likes ChessEnthusiast
[tex]cos{\theta} = \frac{am}{F_{net}}[/tex]
And so, if the acceleration were to be g, then
[tex]\cos{\theta} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
[tex]|\theta| = 45 [/tex] degrees

But since we only have 5 centimeters remaining, then the maximal angle we may obtain:
[tex]\tan{\alpha} = 5 / 40 = 0.125[/tex]
[tex] \alpha = 7 [/tex] degrees

Is my reasoning all right?

Draw the tank and water when the braking acceleration is maximal. Hint: remember that the volume of water must be conserved!

Likes ChessEnthusiast
These are the two sketches I have created.
Now, my question is:
How could I write beta in terms of theta?
Aren't these angles congruent?

Attachments

• water22.PNG
    water22.PNG
    57.4 KB · Views: 430
Presumably your diagram depicts a train moving to the left but slowing down. The acceleration of the train is thus directed to the right. But the water rushes towards the left side of the tank in the direction of the train's motion. What makes the water move is its inertia, trying to keep moving in the same direction at constant velocity while the train slows down. As such, in the train's frame of reference (which is not an inertial frame because it's accelerating), inertia results in a frame-dependent force (pseudo force) that pushes to the left, not the right.

You'd do better to consider a particle on the surface of the water. If the train acceleration is constant over time and the water is no longer flowing (achieves static conditions) what can you say about the direction of any net force (or better, net acceleration vector) on that particle? Can there be any acceleration along the direction of the surface? Big hint: How does a pond's surface relate to the direction of gravitational acceleration?

Likes ChessEnthusiast
I have a feeling that the net acceleration you are referring has its direction along the water surface, that is why the surface bends at some angle.

My question is, where does this direction come from, since the force of inertia acts at a 0 degree angle, and the force of gravity is perpendicular to this force.

Another question: Can we assume that the water is in "mechanical equilibrium", and we can consider only horizontal forces?

ChessEnthusiast said:
I have a feeling that the net acceleration you are referring has its direction along the water surface, that is why the surface bends at some angle.
No, quite the opposite. If a particle of water at the surface felt an acceleration along the surface (or any component of the acceleration was along the surface) then that particle would want to move along the surface. Since the surface is static, there cannot be a component of the (net) acceleration along the surface. What's does that leave?
My question is, where does this direction come from, since the force of inertia acts at a 0 degree angle, and the force of gravity is perpendicular to this force.
What direction can their sum take? It's the net acceleration that counts.
Another question: Can we assume that the water is in "mechanical equilibrium", and we can consider only horizontal forces?
We can consider the water is in static equilibrium. The net force is not horizontal. Again, what's the direction of the net acceleration and force at a pond's surface? In other words, how do we define "down"?

Likes ChessEnthusiast
gneill said:
Again, what's the direction of the net acceleration and force at a pond's surface? In other words, how do we define "down"?

Down - direction perpendicular to the water's surface

ChessEnthusiast said:
Down - direction perpendicular to the water's surface
Right. So what direction do you infer the net acceleration should be for the aquarium's water surface if it's also in static equilibrium? In other words, what the direction of "down" in the train's frame of reference.

Likes ChessEnthusiast
It must be this red vector's direction

Now, I think there might be some congruence between these angles.

Attachments

• water33.PNG
    water33.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 439
ChessEnthusiast said:
It must be this red vector's direction

Now, I think there might be some congruence between these angles.
Yes indeed. Because the net acceleration must be perpendicular to the water's surface, the angles must be congruent.

Here's my version of your diagram:
upload_2016-10-8_18-15-35.png

Likes ChessEnthusiast
Thank you very much, that solves the problem as long as Physics is concerned.

However, could you please explain, which vectors are responsible for the congruence of these two angles?

ChessEnthusiast said:
Thank you very much, that solves the problem as long as Physics is concerned.

However, could you please explain, which vectors are responsible for the congruence of these two angles?
Imagine the train before braking begins. The local "down" is the same as the inertial track frame's "down" (i.e., vertical). Now imagine that the acceleration due to braking starts gradually. The surface of the water begins to "tip". The perpendicular to the surface must tip through the same angle that the surface does. So the angle of "down" with respect to gravity's direction moves through the same as the angle that the water's surface does with horizontal.

Now, what vector components comprise this "down" direction?" One is gravitational acceleration which remains unchanged and vertical. The other is the inertial "reflection" of the train's horizontal acceleration. i.e., ##-a_{train}##. In the non-inertial frame of reference of the train inertia manifests an acceleration that is equal and opposite the train's acceleration. The moving mass "wants" to oppose the change in velocity that the frame of reference is making. We ascribe a force or acceleration to this tendency. To a person on the train, unless he looks out the window to see what's happening it's indistinguishable from a new new gravitational acceleration being superimposed on the usual one. Hence the new "down" direction.

Likes ChessEnthusiast

What is an aquarium on a train during braking?

An aquarium on a train during braking refers to a system where a small aquarium is installed on a train, and it is designed to withstand the forces of braking and acceleration while the train is in motion.

How does an aquarium on a train during braking work?

The aquarium is filled with water and contains fish and other aquatic animals. During braking, the water remains in the aquarium due to the force of gravity and the design of the tank, which includes special features to prevent water from spilling out.

What are the benefits of having an aquarium on a train during braking?

An aquarium on a train during braking can provide entertainment and relaxation for passengers during their journey. It can also serve as an educational tool to teach about aquatic life and conservation.

Are there any safety concerns with having an aquarium on a train during braking?

Special precautions are taken to ensure the safety of both the passengers and the aquatic animals in the aquarium. The tank is designed to withstand the forces of braking, and the animals are carefully selected and monitored to ensure their well-being.

What types of trains can have an aquarium during braking?

Most trains that have a smooth and consistent braking system can accommodate an aquarium during braking. However, it is important to consult with train engineers and experts to ensure the safety and feasibility of installing an aquarium on a specific train.