What Are the Different Types of Acceleration in Non-Uniform Motion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
LearninDaMath
Messages
295
Reaction score
0
My question is in regard to non uniform motion with changing velocities, such as a skier moving along a curved ski-jump.

I'm kind of confused about the various acceleration vocabulary. I know of centripetal, linear, and total acceleration of an object that is changing speed and direction. Are there any other accelerations that exist? I keep hearing about normal acceleration, but is that just a synonym for centripetal acceleration? And Tangential is just another name for the linear acceleration, right?

So it's just those three accelerations: centripetal, linear, and total?

And centripetal is the acceleration related to change in direction. Linear is related to change in magnitude (or actual speed). And centripetal and linear are just the components that make up total acceleration?

Is this all correct so far?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
LearninDaMath said:
My question is in regard to non uniform motion with changing velocities, such as a skier moving along a curved ski-jump.

I'm kind of confused about the various acceleration vocabulary. I know of centripetal, linear, and total acceleration of an object that is changing speed and direction. Are there any other accelerations that exist? I keep hearing about normal acceleration, but is that just a synonym for centripetal acceleration? And Tangential is just another name for the linear acceleration, right?

So it's just those three accelerations: centripetal, linear, and total?

And centripetal is the acceleration related to change in direction. Linear is related to change in magnitude (or actual speed). And centripetal and linear are just the components that make up total acceleration?

Is this all correct so far?

That reads like a reasonable summary.