What are the fundamental principles of a computer's operation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dobry_den
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Computer Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
dobry_den
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Hi! I've chosen my coursework to be "The Physics of a Computer"... I've just started collecting study materials, so I'd be very grateful if you could recommend me any web pages or books concerning this topic... Thanks a lot in advance.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
And a good day to you as well!

You have asked a very broad question, I would guess that you are wanting to talk about modern digital computers, so really you are asking how solid state devices work. For this you need to be in the Electrical Engineering forum..

I will move this question there. Meanwhile you may want to try to narrow down the question a bit. Such broad topics are difficult to cover in this format.
 
dobry_den said:
Hi! I've chosen my coursework to be "The Physics of a Computer"... I've just started collecting study materials, so I'd be very grateful if you could recommend me any web pages or books concerning this topic... Thanks a lot in advance.

Try to focus on one component in a computer. Memory is a good topic. So are power supplies and processors.
 
As mentioned, you should start with the subject of semiconductors, then I think you should read up about integrated circuits, and then finally you can read more about computers to see how the three concepts are tied together. Here's a starting point at wikipedia.org about semiconductors. There are integrated circuit and computer entries there as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor
 
Thanks for your replies! I've changed (narrowed) the topic a bit, so i'll start with semiconductors and then i'll choose a component that'll be covered in detail.. I'll be back here when I'm decided on the component ;-)
 
Last edited: