What are the fundamental principles of physics that apply universally?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Silviu
Messages
612
Reaction score
11
Hello! I apologize if this is not the right place for this, but it the highest I could get in terms of physics topics difficulty. I was wondering if someone can point me towards a place where I can find the main principle of physics laid out in an organized way? By this I mean principle that holds in any system we know (like the Lorentz invariance, but not F=ma, which breaks down in special relativity). I am starting to learn BSM physics and I came to realize that many formulas I learned during years are not always valid in all physics circumstances and I would like to have a list with the most fundamental physics principle from which in principle you can derive everything else. Not necessary any deep explanations of them, or any proofs or motivations, as most probably I encountered many of them already, I just want to have them in an organized way. Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are just going to have to learn the separate formulas that apply in their separate domains of applicability. We do not have what you are asking for, which is sometimes called a "theory of everything".
 
Dale said:
You are just going to have to learn the separate formulas that apply in their separate domains of applicability. We do not have what you are asking for, which is sometimes called a "theory of everything".
Thank you for your reply. I think you misunderstood what I was asking for. I don't want an equation that explain everything, I want to know the equations that are true in general. For example Galilean velocity addition doesn't hold in special relativity. However Lorentz invariance is a requirement that we impose on our equations, from classical electromagnetism, to Dirac equation. Of course Lorentz invariance is not a theory of everything (and I am not sure if it can be considered as an axiom) but we want that all of our equations (maybe at a point even a theory of everything) have it. So I am asking about this kind of principle, that we want our systems (equations) to reflect. I.e. I don't think that Lorentz invariance has just a certain "domain of aplicability", but it is something that we require in all areas of physics for a consistent theory.