What are the ideals of Z mod 18Z?

  • Thread starter Thread starter curiousmuch
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
curiousmuch
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find all ideals I of Z mod 18Z. Then find what (Z mod 18Z)/I is isomorphic to for every ideal I.

The Attempt at a Solution


We know that the whole ring and {0} are ideals. since Z/18Z is not a field there are more. So are Z/nZ where n is a divisor of 18, all of them?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite. The correspondence theorem guarantees that there is a bijection between ideals of [tex]\mathbb{Z}/18\mathbb{Z}[/tex] and ideals of [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] containing [tex]18 \mathbb{Z}[/tex], which are of the form [tex]n \mathbb{Z}[/tex], where [tex]n \mid 18[/tex], as you said. However, [tex]\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}[/tex] isn't an ideal of [tex]\mathbb{Z}/18 \mathbb{Z}[/tex]. (It will turn out that this is isomorphic to the quotient ring.)