Maximal Ideal/Ring homomorphism question

• Thread starter Zoe-b
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks to show that T-1(J) is a prime ideal of R if J is a prime ideal of S and T is a ring homomorphism. The hint suggests considering an embedding of a ring into a field, which is a mapping that is injective. A possible example is the inclusion homomorphism of integers into real numbers, where the pre-image of the maximal ideal \{0\} is not maximal in the integers.
Zoe-b

Homework Statement

So I have a question that says:

Let T:R -> S be a ring homomorphism, show that if J is a prime ideal of S, then

T-1(J) := { r in R s.t. T(r) is in J)

is a prime ideal of R. (I've done this bit)

It then says:
Give an example where J is maximal but T-1(J) is not maximal, hint: consider a suitable embedding T of a ring into a field

Homework Equations

First thing that doesn't really help is that I'm not so clear of what an 'embedding of a ring into a field' actually means in the first place. This is a phrase that crops up but has never been properly defined in my course.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so if I let R = integers and S = integers mod 7, then I think T taking a in Z to its equivalence class mod 7 defines an embedding of the integers into the field Z mod 7. However the only ideals in Z mod 7 are the whole field, and {0}. The pre-image of the whole field is clearly the whole of Z, whereas the pre-image of {0} is the set 7Z which is also a maximal ideal since 7 is prime. Bit confused, have tried a few other examples but can't get anything to work/understand the hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zoe-b said:
Ok so if I let R = integers and S = integers mod 7, then I think T taking a in Z to its equivalence class mod 7 defines an embedding of the integers into the field Z mod 7.

An embedding is necessarily injective. Your mapping is not injective so it is not an embedding. For this problem consider the inclusion homomorphism [itex]\mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] and recall that the only maximal ideal in a field is [itex]\{0\}[/itex].

What is a maximal ideal?

A maximal ideal in a ring is an ideal that is not a proper subset of any other ideal in the ring. In other words, it is an ideal that cannot be extended any further without becoming equal to the whole ring.

What is a ring homomorphism?

A ring homomorphism is a function between two rings that preserves the ring structure. This means that it maps the ring operations of addition and multiplication from one ring to the other in a way that maintains their properties, such as distributivity and associativity.

Can a maximal ideal be mapped to another maximal ideal under a ring homomorphism?

No, a maximal ideal cannot be mapped to another maximal ideal under a ring homomorphism. This is because a maximal ideal is, by definition, the largest possible ideal in a ring and cannot be extended any further. Therefore, any homomorphism that maps a maximal ideal to another maximal ideal would not preserve the ideal's maximality.

What is the importance of studying maximal ideals and ring homomorphisms?

Studying maximal ideals and ring homomorphisms is important in understanding the structure and properties of rings. Maximal ideals play a key role in ring theory and have various applications in areas such as algebraic geometry, number theory, and representation theory. Ring homomorphisms, on the other hand, provide a way to compare and relate different rings, which is useful in many mathematical constructions and proofs.

Can a maximal ideal be a ring homomorphism?

No, a maximal ideal cannot be a ring homomorphism because a maximal ideal is an ideal, which is a subset of a ring, while a ring homomorphism is a function between two rings. They are two different objects with different properties and cannot be the same.