1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximal Ideal/Ring homomorphism question

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I have a question that says:

Let T:R -> S be a ring homomorphism, show that if J is a prime ideal of S, then

T-1(J) := { r in R s.t. T(r) is in J)

is a prime ideal of R. (I've done this bit)

It then says:
    Give an example where J is maximal but T-1(J) is not maximal, hint: consider a suitable embedding T of a ring into a field

2. Relevant equations

First thing that doesn't really help is that I'm not so clear of what an 'embedding of a ring into a field' actually means in the first place. This is a phrase that crops up but has never been properly defined in my course.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so if I let R = integers and S = integers mod 7, then I think T taking a in Z to its equivalence class mod 7 defines an embedding of the integers into the field Z mod 7. However the only ideals in Z mod 7 are the whole field, and {0}. The pre-image of the whole field is clearly the whole of Z, whereas the pre-image of {0} is the set 7Z which is also a maximal ideal since 7 is prime. Bit confused, have tried a few other examples but can't get anything to work/understand the hint.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2012 #2

jgens

Gold Member

An embedding is necessarily injective. Your mapping is not injective so it is not an embedding. For this problem consider the inclusion homomorphism [itex]\mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] and recall that the only maximal ideal in a field is [itex]\{0\}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook