Char. Limit said:
This. The best way to end piracy is to make it more convenient to buy the product.
Yep. The internet makes it so easy, I can't for the life of me understand why more companies aren't making it more convenient to purchase the legitimate product. Downloading pirated stuff is still a bit of a chore, and there's no guarantee of quality.
Also, I am sick to death of watching my DVDs and having to sit through 5 minutes of YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR, YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A PURSE, DOWNLOADING IS STEALING. Hello? I'm watching the DVD, if I downloaded it, I wouldn't have to see this, it's the first thing the pirates remove! Stop harassing paying customers, or pretty soon, I'm just going to stop buying this crap and start downloading a better product!
Make it super easy, make it super cheap, move units in high volume, it's not rocket surgery. Sell a collectors edition hard copy with added value (extras, commentary, t-shirt, whatever).
Why is it so hard to realize that the current business model for media is mired in the past? >.<
Also, you know what I download? Documentaries and really old movies that I can't find on DVD, or I can, but they are region coded or NTSC format and there's only so many hoops I can be bothered jumping through. There's a market for this stuff, realize this, and sell products to me!