What are the interpretations of Convolution integral?

In summary, the convolution integral is a mathematical operation that is used in electrical engineering to find the output of a linear time-invariant system given an input signal. It is based on the Laplace (or Fourier) relation, where multiplication in the frequency domain corresponds to convolution in the time domain. This allows for easier computation of the output signal. Additionally, the convolution can be seen as a generalization of the distributive law, and it can also be used to calculate the area of overlap between two functions. The Fourier transform of a sinc function is a rectangular pulse, making it an ideal low pass filter, however it is not constructable in the real world due to causality constraints.
henry wang
formula_convolution.png

Physically or mathematically, what does the Convolution integral compute?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The use in the convolution integral comes from the Laplace (or Fourier) relation. Namely, that multiplication in the ##s## domain corresponds to convolution in the time domain, and vice versa.

In electrical engineering, every system has an associated impulse response ##h(t)##. It can be shown that, given some input signal ##x(t)## to a linear time invariant system, the system's output ##y(t)## is given by
$$y(t) = x(t) * h(t)$$
i.e. the convolution of the input with the impulse response.

Correspondingly, that means that if you find the Laplace (or Fourier) transform of ##h(t)##, denoted ##H(s)##, then given some input signal ##X(s)##, the output is $$Y(s) = X(s) H(s)$$ Multiplication is a lot easier to do than convolution, and once you find the product, you can just find the inverse Laplace transform to find the output signal.

Likes henry wang
Let's look at multiplying sums. You have

[tex](a_0 + a_1 + a_2)(b_0 + b_1 + b_2) = a_0b_0 + (a_0b_1 + b_0a_1) + (a_0b_2 + a_1b_1 + a_2b_0)[/tex]

Hmm, let's generalize this:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^N a_n \sum_{m=0}^N b_m = \sum_{k=0}^N c_k[/tex]

where

[tex]c_k = \sum_{i=0}^k a_i b_{k-i}[/tex]

We can generalize this to series too:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n \sum_{m=0}^\infty b_n = \sum_{k=0}^\infty c_k[/tex]

with

The convolution product is merely the continuous generalization of this: we replace sum by integral:

[tex]\int f(t) g(\tau - t)dt[/tex]

So we can simply see the convolution as a generalization of the distributive law.

Likes henry wang
micromass said:
Let's look at multiplying sums. You have

[tex](a_0 + a_1 + a_2)(b_0 + b_1 + b_2) = a_0b_0 + (a_0b_1 + b_0a_1) + (a_0b_2 + a_1b_1 + a_2b_0)[/tex]

Hmm, let's generalize this:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^N a_n \sum_{m=0}^N b_m = \sum_{k=0}^N c_k[/tex]

where

We can generalize this to series too:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n \sum_{m=0}^\infty b_n = \sum_{k=0}^\infty c_k[/tex]

with

The convolution product is merely the continuous generalization of this: we replace sum by integral:

[tex]\int f(t) g(\tau - t)dt[/tex]

So we can simply see the convolution as a generalization of the distributive law.

Thank you that's very helpful!

Ive heard that convolution calculates the area of overlap between two functions, is this true? If it is true, what's the explanation of how convolution does it?

You might also want to think about how micro-masses answer relates to frequencies (and probabilities) as well (and there are connections to probability theory - particularly with that of finding the distribution of adding two independent random variables).

Likes henry wang
henry wang said:
Ive heard that convolution calculates the area of overlap between two functions, is this true? If it is true, what's the explanation of how convolution does it?

Its easier for me to think in dicrete terms sometimes. The cyclical convolution of two vectors is a vector of the same length, and each number in it is the dot product of the two input vectors at different offsets. So if the inputs are <1,2,3> <4,5,6> then the ouput will be the 3 numbers given by <<1,2,3>*<4,5,6>, <1,2,3>*<6,4,5>,<1,2,3>*<5,6,4>> where * means dot multiply.

In a sense its the correlation of the vectors at each possible offset.

By taking the Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) of the two vectors, and multiplying each entry in those vectors and taking the inverse DFT of the resulting vector, you get the same result. This is just due to a weird property of sin/cos. Play around and you will see it.

Once you see that, replace the vectors with functions to see the larger picture of the continuous convolution, and for me at least, its more clear.. I hope that helps.

axmls said:
The use in the convolution integral comes from the Laplace (or Fourier) relation. Namely, that multiplication in the ##s## domain corresponds to convolution in the time domain, and vice versa.

In electrical engineering, every system has an associated impulse response ##h(t)##. It can be shown that, given some input signal ##x(t)## to a linear time invariant system, the system's output ##y(t)## is given by
$$y(t) = x(t) * h(t)$$
i.e. the convolution of the input with the impulse response.

Correspondingly, that means that if you find the Laplace (or Fourier) transform of ##h(t)##, denoted ##H(s)##, then given some input signal ##X(s)##, the output is $$Y(s) = X(s) H(s)$$ Multiplication is a lot easier to do than convolution, and once you find the product, you can just find the inverse Laplace transform to find the output signal.

Expanding on this, what you typically do to find out the coefficients that define a filter is to make a single impulse of magnitude 1, and measure the values that follow after for each sample. For instance, you may have coefficients like 0.9, 0.6, 0.4, 0.3, 0.25... etc. and this is what you convolute with the input. This would cause the impulse decay slowly. If you imagine that the input be a high frequency sine wave, then the decay produced by these coefficients will effectively cancel each other out, and you are left with nothing. Otherwise, if the sine wave is a low enough frequency, the input will pass through, minimally altered. This is an example of an elementary low pass filter.

But that is a really bad low pass filter. If you want a really good low pass filter, you sample a sinc(x) function and use that for the impulse response. For some reason (that I would really like to know) this forms a rock solid low pass filter.

TheDemx27 said:
But that is a really bad low pass filter. If you want a really good low pass filter, you sample a sinc(x) function and use that for the impulse response. For some reason (that I would really like to know) this forms a rock solid low pass filter.

The Fourier transform of a sinc function is a rectangular pulse, i.e. In the frequency domain, you've got one section with a magnitude of 1, and it is zero for all other frequencies. This would be an ideal low pass filter.

Clearly this is not really constructable in the real world, because if the impulse response were a sinc function, it would mean that the system responded because the delta function input! It would then be referred to as a non causal system (needless to say, we cannot construct such systems). There are some filters that try to get as closely as possible, and they all have advantages and disadvantages. See: Butterworth filters, Chebyshev filters, etc.

When you speak of sampling a sinc function though, that's a whole different ballpark.

henry wang said:
Physically or mathematically, what does the Convolution integral compute?

The convolution integral basically tells you how much one function f is changed by another function g.

For example, in electrical engineering you might have some analog device and you want to know what the output will be for some input signal. The analog device can be described by a transfer function and the input signal can be described by a function in time. The output will be given by the convolution of the input signal with the transfer function.

Turning convolution into multiplication is one of the primary motivations of the Laplace transform. Doing the convolution directly may be very cumbersome in the time domain, but when you take the Laplace transform of the two functions, multiply the two transformed functions, and then take the inverse Laplace transform of the product, you'll get back the convolution. This is usually much easier because most of the signals you'll encounter are of only a small number of forms (exponentials, polynomials, sinusoids, impulses, and constant functions) and taking the transform is just a matter of looking at a table.

1. What is the Convolution integral?

The Convolution integral is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function. It is often used in signal processing and image processing to model the output of a linear system when the input is a time-varying signal or an image.

2. What are the applications of Convolution integral?

The Convolution integral has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, mathematics, and economics. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and probability theory to model real-world systems and phenomena.

3. How is Convolution integral calculated?

The Convolution integral is calculated by multiplying one function by a reversed and shifted version of the other function, and then integrating the product over the entire range of the variables. This results in a new function that represents the combined effect of the two original functions.

4. What are the interpretations of Convolution integral?

The Convolution integral has several interpretations, including representing the output of a linear system when the input is a time-varying signal, calculating the probability density function of the sum of two independent random variables, and determining the response of a system to an impulse input.

5. How is Convolution integral related to Fourier transforms?

The Convolution integral and Fourier transforms are closely related. The Convolution integral can be seen as a multiplication in the frequency domain, which is equivalent to a convolution in the time domain. This relationship is known as the Convolution theorem and is used in many applications, such as signal filtering and image deblurring.